Elsewhere – Schools eye minority recruitment programs

By Tiffany Webber

The Chronicle (Duke)

(U-WIRE) DURHAM, N.C.-As admissions officers at colleges and universities across the country put the finishing touches on acceptance, waitlist and rejection letters, the debate about specialized student recruiting rages on.

Although few dispute the importance of holding recruitment programs for prospective scholars, many people affiliated with higher education are beginning to reassess the value of hosting minority recruitment weekends.

“Coming off of the Civil Rights Movement, there was a sense that you can’t expect [minority]students to walk into a newly integrated place and feel like they belonged,” President Richard Brodhead said. “That’s why these recruitment [strategies]started.”

But more than 30 years after integration, some higher education officials are questioning whether programs directed to minority students are still necessary.

“There is no eternally right answer,” Brodhead said.

Many schools, including Duke University, generally maintain that although some drawbacks exist, recruitment programs are beneficial. Others, such as Yale University, have stopped hosting specialized recruitment weekends for minority students, insisting that they present unrealistic perceptions of a university.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...