A plea to the new SG: Stick to your platform

The votes are in. The ballots are counted. The University of Miami’s student body has once again successfully elected its newest political representatives. It’s a good looking bunch, perfect for those group photo-ops that so frequent the to-do list of our student politicians. I have no doubt that these men and women will do their best to try to accurately represent the varied students of UM. Should we expect good press? I think so. All of the elected sport long and varied involvement logs, and (if they stick to their platform) offer us enticing benefits.

But how will the new Student Government mesh with the stern administration of our university as a whole? What stance will SG be allowed to take regarding important issues, like the UNICCO strike, as well as future administration/public quarrels? Most of us know that Annette and crew care deeply about the issue at hand and want to do their best to resolve it with an eye towards morality. Yet, how much can the new SG really do? How will administration members like Richard Walker (student government advisor) influence and effect the future student administration? At what point will the students be stopped and forced to conform to the wishes of the University?

Congratulations “Putting U First” and the student Senate, and best of luck with your trials and tribulations next term. But, as you brush and gel your hair each morning, and paint on your perfect smiles as you greet the day, don’t forget to keep your beliefs and morals at hand. Remember that you, as representatives of the student body, have the responsibility and power to make the changes that the rest of us desire. But most importantly, don’t just become a puppet for the administration. Stick to the ideas that got you elected and, I promise, you won’t disappoint.

Michelle Solove is a freshman majoring in English and psychology. She can be reached at m.solove@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...