A plea to the new SG: Stick to your platform

The votes are in. The ballots are counted. The University of Miami’s student body has once again successfully elected its newest political representatives. It’s a good looking bunch, perfect for those group photo-ops that so frequent the to-do list of our student politicians. I have no doubt that these men and women will do their best to try to accurately represent the varied students of UM. Should we expect good press? I think so. All of the elected sport long and varied involvement logs, and (if they stick to their platform) offer us enticing benefits.

But how will the new Student Government mesh with the stern administration of our university as a whole? What stance will SG be allowed to take regarding important issues, like the UNICCO strike, as well as future administration/public quarrels? Most of us know that Annette and crew care deeply about the issue at hand and want to do their best to resolve it with an eye towards morality. Yet, how much can the new SG really do? How will administration members like Richard Walker (student government advisor) influence and effect the future student administration? At what point will the students be stopped and forced to conform to the wishes of the University?

Congratulations “Putting U First” and the student Senate, and best of luck with your trials and tribulations next term. But, as you brush and gel your hair each morning, and paint on your perfect smiles as you greet the day, don’t forget to keep your beliefs and morals at hand. Remember that you, as representatives of the student body, have the responsibility and power to make the changes that the rest of us desire. But most importantly, don’t just become a puppet for the administration. Stick to the ideas that got you elected and, I promise, you won’t disappoint.

Michelle Solove is a freshman majoring in English and psychology. She can be reached at m.solove@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...