UM’s own ‘Doctor Law’ prescribes pre-emptive procedures in book

UM is a research-based institution where professors work on new ideas in their field. Each Friday, we will highlight an area of research spearheaded by a university professor.

Preventative Law for Business Professionals, written by Martin E. Segal of the business law department, is a guide for effective legal risk management. It explains how to use the anticipatory thinking approach when entering legal contracts. Segal’s theory is that if individuals enter situations asking the “what if” questions, and predicting the consequences that could occur, then they will be better prepared if and when they take place.

“In the nation’s increasingly litigious society, plaintiffs and their lawyers are out for blood and money. The best defense is prevention,” Segal read from the inside cover of his new book.

He continued to explain the basics of his work that centers on predicting possible scenarios before they happen.

“If you use the anticipatory thinking approach, you are able to locate and defuse business law potential time bombs,” Segal said. “It’s a strategy for success.”

John Dellagloria, one of Segal’s colleagues for the past 15 years, had a positive response to the book.

“It’s a very realistic, pragmatic approach of what the real world holds in store for people,” Dellagloria said.

Segal decided to write the book based on his day-to-day experiences as a transactional lawyer, commercial litigator, business entrepreneur and risk management consultant to professional business managers.

“Every business has legal implications, and most businesses don’t know their legal rights,” Segal said. “Awareness of potential problems is crucial to creating the best transactions for ourselves.”

All of the proceeds for his book go to the Martin E. Segal Business Law Scholarship. This scholarship was created to give deserving students an opportunity to pursue their undergraduate career in legal studies.

According to his students, Segal applies the same practical principles in his book to his legal teachings. Jessica Nadelman, sophomore, took Segal’s business law class, and described his class as being not easy, but not impossible.

“He was a really nice professor, and you can tell that he really cared about his students,” she said.

Segal received his undergraduate degree in business administration from the University of Florida. He credits his successful law career to his father, who encouraged him to go into the field.

“He told me you can’t go wrong going into law, because everything we do involves the law,” Segal said.

Segal continued his graduate career at University of Miami School of Law, where he was on Law Review and graduated with honors. He has been a part of the legal community for more than three decades and a part of the UM educational community for about 15 years.

“It’s become a full cycle,” said Segal. “I grew up in Miami, followed the Hurricanes since I was a teenager, became a lawyer and ended up teaching at UM. I love teaching, and I really love UM.”

Because of his love for teaching, Segal has won the Excellence in Teaching Award multiple times.

He also writes a bi-weekly column in the Miami Herald called “Ask Dr. Law”, which answers general legal questions.

Khris Parker can be contacted at k.parker1@umiami.edu

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...