Student Center is a necessary upgrade

From March 27 to 30, students will have the opportunity to shape the future of UM. A referendum will ask students whether they would approve a $150 hike in student activity fees starting in 2009 as a way of funding nearly half the cost (UM would cover approximately about $50 million) of a proposed beefed-up University Center. In an effort to mirror its success with the construction of the Wellness Center, UM would complete the first phase of the project-a multi-story student activities center-by 2009, serving as added motivation to the student body that they won’t be paying for something they won’t be there to enjoy.

Sandwiched between the UNICCO struggle and spring break, the student referendum has not gotten the publicity that it deserves. You need look no further than the “Frequently Asked Questions” section of the Student Center Referendum to see that the first FAQ is

“Why should I care about this?” (The third question listed, for concerned alcohol aficionados, is “What is going to happen to the Rathskeller?”) Apparently, there is some truth to humor, and humor to truth.

The reason we should care is simple: UM stands to be improved. Among the many needed improvements are a banquet hall that student organizations would be able to use free-of-cost, new office space for a variety of student organizations (shameless plug: a new Hurricane office is among them) and retail space, which UM has been sorely lacking with the exception of the bazaar-like breezeway. What’s more, UM is actively researching student suggestions for other possible additions to the UC/SAC, an excellent opportunity to let the school know what REALLY needs to be done.

The way we see it, the new UC is a must. There’s no reason not to support the improvements proposed. Well, one exception: With the recent spike in student activism around campus, someone is bound to take a stand for the Rat.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...