New student center up for vote

A campus-wide referendum will be brought before all UM students on the Coral Gables campus next week to decide whether to fund a new Student Center. The outcome will decide whether to proceed with plans to begin construction on the project.

The new Student Center is estimated to cost between $83 million and $88 million and would be completed in two phases of construction. If passed, the referendum would allow the project to raise the student activity fee by $150 each semester once the building opens in 2009. This amount would account for 40 percent of the cost with the other 60 percent being funded by other sources at the university, such as the additional $250 million in the Momentum campaign.

Phase I of the construction would involve an entirely new building that would be erected where the Rathskeller now stands. This area will include space for student organizations that would span 10,000 sq. ft., a student media center, retail spaces, places for graduate student and law school spaces, and a new Rat.

Phase II would involve expanding and renovating the current UC. A 400-seat auditorium/movie theater, new swimming pool entrance, expanded retail spaces and a resurfaced patio with shaded seatingwould be included in this phase.

According to the Student Center Referendum Committee, throughout construction, all services would continue to be open in the UC and students would experience minimal disruption.

Phase I is projected to open in fall of 2009. Tuition would not increase until that semester, when the Student Center could be used by students.

This student referendum mirrors the procedure established by the Wellness Center referendum more than a decade ago, in which students voted to increase tuition to fund the construction of the Wellness Center.

Students have expressed a number of concerns about disruptions that could be caused by construction.

According to Richard Walker, assistant vice president for student affairs, the Rat’s liquor license could be moved during the construction so UM would not become a dry campus. It would likely be moved to the Storm Surge Caf

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...