Esteban Cortazar on the runway in Miami

It only seems fitting that the youngest fashion design to showcase at New York Fashion Week would be from Miami.

Esteban Cortazar, 21, moved to Miami Beach from Bogota, Colombia. He began to embrace fashion at 12 years old after he was introduced to designer Todd Oldham and invited to be his guest at his New York show.

“Miami in the 1990s was a fashion window for many influential designs and photographers. I was around it and spontaneously fell in love with fashion and design,” Esteban said. “Miami has been my base and stepping stone to fashion.”

South Pointe Elementary School in Miami Beach was the first to experience Esteban’s designs. At age 13, Esteban showcased his first collection of nine pieces for the school’s talent show and only two years later Esteban made his unofficial debut with a 30-piece set at Miami International Fashion Week.

“That collection was very premature and spontaneously done in different moments. I was just enjoying the experience of showing my work,” Esteban said.

In March 2002, Esteban temporarily switched locations and embraced New York for the presentation of his first collection (Fall/Winter 2002) consisting of 14 eveningwear pieces at New York Fashion Week. Introduced under the label CORTAZAR, Esteban claims he designs for the “women that know what they want, are secure with their bodies and are always up for taking risks.”

Fashion tends to be a cut-throat industry for beginners, but Esteban believes that his young age actually helped him make his breakthrough.

“The fact that I was so young and doing my own fashion shows caused for many people to notice and keep their eyes open for me in the future,” Esteban said. “Now it is important for me to make every collection top the previous one and continue to prove myself as a designer.”

Esteban is currently working on a spring 2007 collection and has been keeping busy living in Miami and New York-not the average life of a 21-year-old.

“I don’t regret the way my life has been sketched out, the childhood I had was the one that was meant for me to have,” he said.

Esteban has dressed stars such as Paris Hilton, Eva Longoria, Beyonce Knowles and Ashanti, and has had some of his pieces featured on HBO’s Sex and the City.

“My collections are fresh and they can appeal to many young women who are savvy, smart and that have a passion for life,” Esteban said.

Esteban’s collections can be found at select Neiman Marcus stores and specialty stores nationwide. Despite the attention and chaos that surrounds Esteban, he has never forgotten his Miami roots and influence, and tries to incorporate them into his designs; at only 21 years old, Esteban can truly be considered a fashion prodigy.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...