Esteban Cortazar on the runway in Miami

It only seems fitting that the youngest fashion design to showcase at New York Fashion Week would be from Miami.

Esteban Cortazar, 21, moved to Miami Beach from Bogota, Colombia. He began to embrace fashion at 12 years old after he was introduced to designer Todd Oldham and invited to be his guest at his New York show.

“Miami in the 1990s was a fashion window for many influential designs and photographers. I was around it and spontaneously fell in love with fashion and design,” Esteban said. “Miami has been my base and stepping stone to fashion.”

South Pointe Elementary School in Miami Beach was the first to experience Esteban’s designs. At age 13, Esteban showcased his first collection of nine pieces for the school’s talent show and only two years later Esteban made his unofficial debut with a 30-piece set at Miami International Fashion Week.

“That collection was very premature and spontaneously done in different moments. I was just enjoying the experience of showing my work,” Esteban said.

In March 2002, Esteban temporarily switched locations and embraced New York for the presentation of his first collection (Fall/Winter 2002) consisting of 14 eveningwear pieces at New York Fashion Week. Introduced under the label CORTAZAR, Esteban claims he designs for the “women that know what they want, are secure with their bodies and are always up for taking risks.”

Fashion tends to be a cut-throat industry for beginners, but Esteban believes that his young age actually helped him make his breakthrough.

“The fact that I was so young and doing my own fashion shows caused for many people to notice and keep their eyes open for me in the future,” Esteban said. “Now it is important for me to make every collection top the previous one and continue to prove myself as a designer.”

Esteban is currently working on a spring 2007 collection and has been keeping busy living in Miami and New York-not the average life of a 21-year-old.

“I don’t regret the way my life has been sketched out, the childhood I had was the one that was meant for me to have,” he said.

Esteban has dressed stars such as Paris Hilton, Eva Longoria, Beyonce Knowles and Ashanti, and has had some of his pieces featured on HBO’s Sex and the City.

“My collections are fresh and they can appeal to many young women who are savvy, smart and that have a passion for life,” Esteban said.

Esteban’s collections can be found at select Neiman Marcus stores and specialty stores nationwide. Despite the attention and chaos that surrounds Esteban, he has never forgotten his Miami roots and influence, and tries to incorporate them into his designs; at only 21 years old, Esteban can truly be considered a fashion prodigy.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...