Putting it into perspective

Expectations were high entering the 2005-2006 men’s basketball season.

The Hurricanes surprised everyone a year ago by going 7-10 in its first season in the Atlantic Coast Conference and earning a National Invitation Tournament bid. Somehow, it looks like we’re stuck in the same spot a year later.

This season got off to a rough start, and I truly believe the early injury to Anthony Harris hurt the team much more than we would have thought. They quickly racked up non-conference losses to teams it could have beaten with a healthy Harris in the backcourt.

An undefeated Florida came to the Bank United Center in December, and the Hurricanes almost beat them for the second straight year, but the Gators went on a 10-0 to finish the game and won by that margin.

Louisville arrived with a record of 11-1 and looked like one of the elite teams in the country. Miami found itself down by as many as 15 in the first half but clawed its way back into the game. After UM took a 39-38 lead with 7:28 to play, the Cardinals went on a 20-4 run it.

Are you sensing a pattern here? I give this team plenty of credit. Rarely could one say that the Hurricanes were blown out from the start of a game. This team was in almost every game they played, but that only got them so far. Miami folded in late-game situations many times, squandering a chance for important wins that would have them dancing in the thralls of March Madness right now.

Fans must remember that this team was 6-3 in the ACC and had a shot to defeat the second place N.C. State on its home floor. A Miami comeback in the final seconds of regulation led to even more heartbreak, as the Wolfpack ended up winning in double overtime. That was the beginning of a streak in which the Hurricanes ended the season with six of seven conference losses, dropping its record to 7-9.

There’s no need to tell the coaching staff or its players that this team had a chance to make some serious noise this year, whether it was against Florida or Louisville earlier this season or in the four straight games against ranked ACC opponents. But this is what happens with guard-oriented basketball teams. On some nights, the hoop looks like there’s a lid on it.

As a senior, I’m upset that I was never able to be at UM when the team went to the Big Dance, but back-to-back seasons of 7-9 in the ACC regular season is nothing to get too upset about. We have to keep telling ourselves that this is the same Miami that didn’t even make the Big East Tournament in 2004.

Douglas C. Kroll can be reached at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

Good day to everyone. The sun had just risen and those fax machines were already humming. The first ...

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Students in a School of Architecture design studio addressed some of Miami’s most intractable proble ...

Miami Law's Human Rights Clinic is intervening in a case focused on the issue of accountability ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...