LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Finally, someone mentions the fact that supply-and-demand laws are in play here. Every single time this strike situation has been mentioned in the press or in conversation, people bemoan the fact that UNICCO’s employees get such low wages and no health care. Never mind the fact that people aren’t entitled to a living wage or health care (even though the press thinks they are). You have to earn what you get. Unfortunately, the UNICCO employees are doing this all wrong. They need to wipe out the demand for janitorial services at bare bones prices. If they convinced the university to only sell contracts to companies that will provide a living wage, UNICCO and other companies that bid for these contracts will gladly supply the services.

Also, there’s another problem that nobody’s mentioned: other people work at UM too. I’m an employee that makes less than a “living wage.” I just received a B.A. in my field and started working in my field for $10 an hour here. If the lady that empties my trash can at my office (and that’s all she does regularly) magically starts making $10.75 (the living wage in Miami-Dade) the university will find that it has some more problems to deal with. Specifically, all of us employees who worked our asses off to get an education, amounting tens of thousands of dollars in debt, will be very unhappy. Many of us would be earning less than someone who cleans our offices (and badly at that). I won’t use the S-word, but let’s just say we’d be very displeased.

Brian Gonzalez

Alumnus

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...