30 Seconds to Mars: a thing of beauty indeed

Simply put, there hasn’t been a better album to come out in quite some time. 30 Seconds to Mars packs a heavy punch with their sonically profound release A Beautiful Lie. Frontman Jared Leto displays a strong voice that heightens the emotionality of each song and accents their music wonderfully. When he roars over the bands heavy sound, you can’t help but feel the force of this four-piece rock and roll steamroller. Jared Leto is of course well-known for being a Hollywood A-lister, with starring roles in “Alexander,” “Fight Club,” “Requiem For a Dream,” and the TV hit “My So Called Life.” With “A Beautiful Lie,” the band’s second album, Leto shows he and his bandmates have the chops to be the next rock gods.

This disc has a short fuse, and it detonates as soon as you pop it in. “Attack” does just that, as this strong opening number rocks at a level seldom reached by modern bands. Elephantine guitar work and guttural screams make this song potent enough to blow back your hair. None of the tracks on this album are overindulgent or drag on too long. In fact, 30STM has a strong power-pop sound that will leave you hitting rewind at the end of every song. Another album highlight is the title track “A Beautiful Lie,” a sensational example of how genuine Leto’s lyrics are.

John Heslin can be contacted at j.heslin@umiami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...