Women’s bball stung by GT

Miami had a chance to return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in two years with a first-round Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament victory on Thursday night, but the sixth-seeded Hurricanes fell to 11th-seeded Georgia Tech 79-62.

Tamara James scored 18 points and grabbed nine rebounds in her final ACC game, but James picked up two quick fouls and had to sit out for the majority of the first half. The Yellow Jackets took advantage and went up by double digits near the midway point.

Lamese James took the game over with about five minutes left in the first half, going on a 9-0 run of her own, including two three pointers. During the regular season, James hit only three, but she connected on consecutive possessions to bring Miami within five points. Georgia Tech took a 36-32 lead to halftime.

After the break, Miami took its second lead of the game at 46-45, but Georgia Tech dominated the rest of the way, outscoring the Hurricanes 34-16. The outcome came in large part from the Hurricanes shooting just 32 percent from the field for the game.

The Hurricanes lost the battle of the boards in their two previous meetings with the Yellow Jackets and were out- rebounded 47-31 on Thursday night. Miami had won both regular season meetings against the Yellow Jackets despite the rebounding disadvantage, including the final regular season game only four days before in double overtime.

Head Coach Katie Meier told the Miami Herald that she believes her team will definitely be in the National Invitation Tournament.

“Oh yeah, I think we’re a postseason team,” Meier said. “We made some tremendous strides this year.”

Three other Hurricanes reached double figures in scoring, with Lamese James netting 13 points and seven rebounds. Renee Taylor finished with 12, and senior Melissa Knight had 10 points in her final ACC game.

Georgia Tech finished with 23 turnovers and only two assists on the evening, a turnover-to-assist ratio that rarely results in a team picking up a victory. But it showed the style that the Yellow Jackets play, attacking the glass and putting the ball back in the net. Stephanie Higgs led GT with 22 points.

Even with the first-round loss, Meier said it was a successful season. The team was pcked to finish 11th out of the 12 teams in the ACC.

“We did not play the style we were successful with the entire year tonight. But there is a lot of great stories about our team,” Meier said. “We’ve proven to be in the upper half of the nation’s No. 1 conference. We’re a sixth seed. We earned that. We really earned that.”

Douglas C. Kroll can be reached at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...