Remembering ‘Yamma Yamma’

James “Yamma Yamma” Fleming, who graduated from UM in 1968 and has been a presence on the sidelines at Hurricane football games since then, died of a heart attack at Southwest Regional Medical Center in Fort Myers on Feb. 27. He was 61.

He received the nickname “Yamma Yamma” after leading a cheer by that same name at Hurricane events for almost three decades, according to an excerpt in the Alumni Association e-mail newsletter.

Fleming was born and raised in Rochester, N.Y. He graduated from UM in 1968 with a degree in sales and marketing. He was a former cheerleader and a member of Iron Arrow.

He moved to Fort Myers in 1972 where he opened an advertising firm.

A long time resident of Lehigh Acres, located east of Fort Myers, Fleming was a past president of the Lehigh Acres Community Planning Corp.

Gov. Jeb Bush appointed Fleming chairman of the East County Water Control District in 1999. On Feb. 18, 2006, he announced his candidacy for the Florida House of Representatives, District 73.

Fleming is survived by his wife, Charlotte Marie, their four children and four grandchildren.

His funeral service was held on March 4 at St. Raphael’s Roman Catholic Church in Lehigh Acres.

Greg Linch can be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

For the 17th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season in the top 25 of the ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...