Remembering ‘Yamma Yamma’

James “Yamma Yamma” Fleming, who graduated from UM in 1968 and has been a presence on the sidelines at Hurricane football games since then, died of a heart attack at Southwest Regional Medical Center in Fort Myers on Feb. 27. He was 61.

He received the nickname “Yamma Yamma” after leading a cheer by that same name at Hurricane events for almost three decades, according to an excerpt in the Alumni Association e-mail newsletter.

Fleming was born and raised in Rochester, N.Y. He graduated from UM in 1968 with a degree in sales and marketing. He was a former cheerleader and a member of Iron Arrow.

He moved to Fort Myers in 1972 where he opened an advertising firm.

A long time resident of Lehigh Acres, located east of Fort Myers, Fleming was a past president of the Lehigh Acres Community Planning Corp.

Gov. Jeb Bush appointed Fleming chairman of the East County Water Control District in 1999. On Feb. 18, 2006, he announced his candidacy for the Florida House of Representatives, District 73.

Fleming is survived by his wife, Charlotte Marie, their four children and four grandchildren.

His funeral service was held on March 4 at St. Raphael’s Roman Catholic Church in Lehigh Acres.

Greg Linch can be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...