Remembering ‘Yamma Yamma’

James “Yamma Yamma” Fleming, who graduated from UM in 1968 and has been a presence on the sidelines at Hurricane football games since then, died of a heart attack at Southwest Regional Medical Center in Fort Myers on Feb. 27. He was 61.

He received the nickname “Yamma Yamma” after leading a cheer by that same name at Hurricane events for almost three decades, according to an excerpt in the Alumni Association e-mail newsletter.

Fleming was born and raised in Rochester, N.Y. He graduated from UM in 1968 with a degree in sales and marketing. He was a former cheerleader and a member of Iron Arrow.

He moved to Fort Myers in 1972 where he opened an advertising firm.

A long time resident of Lehigh Acres, located east of Fort Myers, Fleming was a past president of the Lehigh Acres Community Planning Corp.

Gov. Jeb Bush appointed Fleming chairman of the East County Water Control District in 1999. On Feb. 18, 2006, he announced his candidacy for the Florida House of Representatives, District 73.

Fleming is survived by his wife, Charlotte Marie, their four children and four grandchildren.

His funeral service was held on March 4 at St. Raphael’s Roman Catholic Church in Lehigh Acres.

Greg Linch can be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...