Intramural sports: student friendly?

Freshman year I decided that I would get involved in school activities by playing intramural flag football. I joined the team which was sponsored by the Jewish Student Organization. We played on Sunday afternoons because that was the time that fit all of our schedules. My team that year went undefeated in the regular season. When it came time for the playoffs our first game was scheduled for the night of Yom Kippur, the holiest night of the Jewish religion, which happened to fall on a Sunday. The captain of the team went to ask for the game to be moved and he was told it wasn’t possible and we would have to forfeit. We figured that we couldn’t fight too much because we were in a Sunday league and it was a Sunday. Sophomore year the exact same thing happened.

Junior year I decided that I would get involved in school activities by playing intramural flag football again. I joined the team which was sponsored by the Jewish Student Organization again. We played on Sunday afternoons because that was the time that fit all of our schedules again. See a pattern? It may seem like I don’t learn my lesson, but we do.this time the Jewish holidays fell during the week. This time my team didn’t win a game. We still made the playoff and our first game was scheduled for a Wednesday night, which was the first night of Rosh Hashanah. The captain of the team went to ask for the game to be moved and he was told it wasn’t possible and we would have to forfeit. This time we were really upset because it was a Sunday league: why were we scheduled on a Wednesday night, let alone on Rosh Hashanah?

Spring of this year I joined an intramural basketball team. There are no Jewish holidays that can interfere. It was perfect; we played on Sundays and it worked all right. It came time for the playoffs and our first game was scheduled for 10:30 Monday night. We won, so we advanced and found out that our next game was scheduled for two days later at 7:30 at night. This time it wasn’t a religious problem, at least for the Jews. However, it was Ash Wednesday (at least they don’t discriminate). The bigger problem arises because of classes. Are the players supposed to skip class to play intramurals? We signed up for a Sunday league for a reason.

Why can’t the teams sign up for the times they want if they have to be different from the times they play in the regular season?

Justin Diamond is a junior majoring in management. He can be contacted at j.diamond2@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...