Culture

Thrice: Band’s new record yields dynamic, chaotic tour

Thrice is a band on a mission, committed to blasting forth a fresh and atypical sound with every new release. Vheissu, their latest album on the Island label, maintains the group’s devotion to pushing their creative boundaries. This record is a departure from the heavy sound that characterized Thrice’s previous attacks on consumer senses. Rather than crashing down like an anvil, the sounds emanating from Vheissu float and flutter like a feather. Bassist Eddie Breckenridge cites the bands immersion into different styles of music for bringing out this “atmospheric and mood-conscious sound.” “The last record was influenced by heavier bands, but we felt we were neglecting a broader scope of music that we could embrace,” Breckenridge added. This bold transition for Thrice yields sounds diverse as piano, choirs, and even a $2 music box bought on tour in Japan that inspired the track “Music Box.”

A group of friends that met around age 19, love for skateboarding brought the band together, but that quickly evolved into a mutual respect for making music. As the friendship evolved, so did the music. Eddie Breckenride, whose brother Riley plays drums, claims the music has progressively “snowballed” in intensity over the years. Whereas the music has snowballed, so too has the band’s commitment to public service. Since their days on the Sub City label, Thrice has donated proceeds from their albums to a wide array of charities. In a field of prevalent self-absorbedness, Thrice has maintained a humble and society-conscious demeanor throughout their rise to stardom. The boys are less-interested in living a hedonistic rock and roll lifestyle and more in tune with giving. Portions of proceeds from Vheissu are being allocated to 826 Valencia, a tutorial program which helps underprivileged kids improve their communication skills. An appropriate charity for a well-read band whose new album title comes from a Thomas Pynchon novel.

Thrice is co-headlining this year’s Taste of Chaos tour, a trek around the nation which brought the boys to South Florida for a gig at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater this past Sunday. Playing alongside acts like The Deftones and Story of the Year, Thrice put forth a strong set that was well-received by the huge crowd. The cold breeze that blew through the amphitheater and swayed the stage lighting truss was an appropriate backdrop for Thrice’s earth-shaking set. The blistering rocker “Silhouette” was an evening highlight, as Dustin Kensrue and Teppei Teranishi’s searing dual guitar sound worked the crowd into a frenzy. It is clear that Eddie spoke the truth when he said the band gets “more excited about playing live now than ever before.” As Eddie and his mates rocked out, I remembered him saying “Seeing the live show will help fans understand the dynamics of the songs.” Whether live or on record, Thrice is indeed dynamic.

John Heslin can be contacted at j.heslin@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...