Thrice: Band’s new record yields dynamic, chaotic tour

Thrice is a band on a mission, committed to blasting forth a fresh and atypical sound with every new release. Vheissu, their latest album on the Island label, maintains the group’s devotion to pushing their creative boundaries. This record is a departure from the heavy sound that characterized Thrice’s previous attacks on consumer senses. Rather than crashing down like an anvil, the sounds emanating from Vheissu float and flutter like a feather. Bassist Eddie Breckenridge cites the bands immersion into different styles of music for bringing out this “atmospheric and mood-conscious sound.” “The last record was influenced by heavier bands, but we felt we were neglecting a broader scope of music that we could embrace,” Breckenridge added. This bold transition for Thrice yields sounds diverse as piano, choirs, and even a $2 music box bought on tour in Japan that inspired the track “Music Box.”

A group of friends that met around age 19, love for skateboarding brought the band together, but that quickly evolved into a mutual respect for making music. As the friendship evolved, so did the music. Eddie Breckenride, whose brother Riley plays drums, claims the music has progressively “snowballed” in intensity over the years. Whereas the music has snowballed, so too has the band’s commitment to public service. Since their days on the Sub City label, Thrice has donated proceeds from their albums to a wide array of charities. In a field of prevalent self-absorbedness, Thrice has maintained a humble and society-conscious demeanor throughout their rise to stardom. The boys are less-interested in living a hedonistic rock and roll lifestyle and more in tune with giving. Portions of proceeds from Vheissu are being allocated to 826 Valencia, a tutorial program which helps underprivileged kids improve their communication skills. An appropriate charity for a well-read band whose new album title comes from a Thomas Pynchon novel.

Thrice is co-headlining this year’s Taste of Chaos tour, a trek around the nation which brought the boys to South Florida for a gig at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater this past Sunday. Playing alongside acts like The Deftones and Story of the Year, Thrice put forth a strong set that was well-received by the huge crowd. The cold breeze that blew through the amphitheater and swayed the stage lighting truss was an appropriate backdrop for Thrice’s earth-shaking set. The blistering rocker “Silhouette” was an evening highlight, as Dustin Kensrue and Teppei Teranishi’s searing dual guitar sound worked the crowd into a frenzy. It is clear that Eddie spoke the truth when he said the band gets “more excited about playing live now than ever before.” As Eddie and his mates rocked out, I remembered him saying “Seeing the live show will help fans understand the dynamics of the songs.” Whether live or on record, Thrice is indeed dynamic.

John Heslin can be contacted at j.heslin@umiami.edu.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...