‘Putting you first’ sweeps

The candidates on the “Putting You First” ticket, which includes Annette Ponnock, Kingshook De and Mike Beninati, were announced as the winners of SG elections Wednesday evening at the Rat.

“I’m so excited and so proud of everyone that worked with us,” Ponnock said. “I’m so appreciative and grateful.”

Ponnock, along with her ticket and supporters, jumped up and screamed with joy when her name was read by Elections Commission Chair Martin Cruz-Mesa.

“We had some incredible people helping us,” De said. “So many people sacrificed sleep and time to let [other]people know what a great group of people we brought together. We really will represent the UM community.”

The turnout in the election was low compared with the last two presidential elections: 1,301 students cast a vote for president this year, as opposed to 1,967 last year and 1,895 in the presidential runoff election the year before.

Cruz-Mesa first read the winners for SG Senate seats before announcing the winners for treasurer, vice president and president.

In figures released by Cruz-Mesa to The Hurricane, Ponnock won by a majority, garnering 123 more than her closest competitor, Mike Levine; De received 60 more votes than his closest competitor, Mariana Rego; and Beninati received 206 votes than more than his closest competitor, Michele James.

The “Make Life Easier” ticket was shocked.

“I’m really surprised,” Levine said. “We’re disappointed because we had the experience to get things done and put a lot of work into our ideas. I guess that’s just how things happen.”

Brown, who was not present for the results, offered his congratulations to the Ponnock in a phone interview with The Hurricane.

“I think the students are still getting a confident candidate and I hope to meet with her in the near future and work on the ideas that students brought to us,” Brown said. “Hopefully, there will openness to those ideas.”

Ponnock said she could not wait for next year, but looked to the near future immediately after the results.

“Our first order of business will be to celebrate at the party at my house tonight [Wednesday],” she said. “The first SG order of business will be following Pete [Maki] around everywhere he goes and meeting the people he knows.”

Greg Linch can be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

COMPLETE SG ELECTION RESULTS
Candidate votes receIved/total
President
Annette Ponnock 734/1301 Mike Levine 511/1301
Denis Brown 48/1301
Vice President
Kingshook De 650/1298
Mariana Rego 590/1298
Luis de Mendoza III 53/1298
Treasurer
Mike Beninati 720/1296
Michele James 514/1296
Paradai Adisayathepkul 53/1296
Arts and Sciences
Alyssa Cundari 286/1060
Stephen Sinclair 215/1060
Adela Ghadimi 189/1060
Mewelau Hall 179/1060
Jarred Gilbert 81/1060
Roselande Marcellon 69/1060
Candidate votes receIved/total
Business
Alex Phillips 147/226
Henri Albin 76/226
Communications
Elsa Bolt 111/175
Ryan McCavitt 60/175
Engineering
Andrew Doyle 47/75
Sean Murphy 26/75
Music
Bryson Barnes 2/10
Commuter
Patty Garavito 255/501
Elena Smukler 181/501
Daniel Kaczmarek 4/501

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...