‘Putting you first’ sweeps

The candidates on the “Putting You First” ticket, which includes Annette Ponnock, Kingshook De and Mike Beninati, were announced as the winners of SG elections Wednesday evening at the Rat.

“I’m so excited and so proud of everyone that worked with us,” Ponnock said. “I’m so appreciative and grateful.”

Ponnock, along with her ticket and supporters, jumped up and screamed with joy when her name was read by Elections Commission Chair Martin Cruz-Mesa.

“We had some incredible people helping us,” De said. “So many people sacrificed sleep and time to let [other]people know what a great group of people we brought together. We really will represent the UM community.”

The turnout in the election was low compared with the last two presidential elections: 1,301 students cast a vote for president this year, as opposed to 1,967 last year and 1,895 in the presidential runoff election the year before.

Cruz-Mesa first read the winners for SG Senate seats before announcing the winners for treasurer, vice president and president.

In figures released by Cruz-Mesa to The Hurricane, Ponnock won by a majority, garnering 123 more than her closest competitor, Mike Levine; De received 60 more votes than his closest competitor, Mariana Rego; and Beninati received 206 votes than more than his closest competitor, Michele James.

The “Make Life Easier” ticket was shocked.

“I’m really surprised,” Levine said. “We’re disappointed because we had the experience to get things done and put a lot of work into our ideas. I guess that’s just how things happen.”

Brown, who was not present for the results, offered his congratulations to the Ponnock in a phone interview with The Hurricane.

“I think the students are still getting a confident candidate and I hope to meet with her in the near future and work on the ideas that students brought to us,” Brown said. “Hopefully, there will openness to those ideas.”

Ponnock said she could not wait for next year, but looked to the near future immediately after the results.

“Our first order of business will be to celebrate at the party at my house tonight [Wednesday],” she said. “The first SG order of business will be following Pete [Maki] around everywhere he goes and meeting the people he knows.”

Greg Linch can be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

COMPLETE SG ELECTION RESULTS
Candidate votes receIved/total
President
Annette Ponnock 734/1301 Mike Levine 511/1301
Denis Brown 48/1301
Vice President
Kingshook De 650/1298
Mariana Rego 590/1298
Luis de Mendoza III 53/1298
Treasurer
Mike Beninati 720/1296
Michele James 514/1296
Paradai Adisayathepkul 53/1296
Arts and Sciences
Alyssa Cundari 286/1060
Stephen Sinclair 215/1060
Adela Ghadimi 189/1060
Mewelau Hall 179/1060
Jarred Gilbert 81/1060
Roselande Marcellon 69/1060
Candidate votes receIved/total
Business
Alex Phillips 147/226
Henri Albin 76/226
Communications
Elsa Bolt 111/175
Ryan McCavitt 60/175
Engineering
Andrew Doyle 47/75
Sean Murphy 26/75
Music
Bryson Barnes 2/10
Commuter
Patty Garavito 255/501
Elena Smukler 181/501
Daniel Kaczmarek 4/501

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...