Hurricanes nab second straight ACC title

The women’s track and field team won its second consecutive ACC Indoor Championship in Blacksburg, Va., last weekend.

“[Winning the championship] was great. I was really proud of the way the girls stepped up,” said Head Coach Amy Deem. “It was probably one of our best team efforts all the way around.”

The Hurricanes finished with an overall score of 117. The University of North Carolina came in second by 20 points. Two first place wins in the 4 x 400-meter relay and triple jump helped the ‘Canes finish the weekend on top.

Ginou Etienne and Charlette Greggs, both juniors, along with freshmen Krista Simkins and Ena Leufroy, clinched first place in the relay with a time of 3:38.40. The mark was an ACC Championship and university record.

“It was nice to see them break their own school record,” Deem said. “That’s an area we can have a lot of success with at the National Championships. We’re one of the top teams and if we run well, we’ll finish a top team.”

The second first place finish for the Hurricanes came from Tabia Charles in the triple jump. Her final jump was recorded at 13.46 meters. Charles also had a personal best in the long jump but ended up in second.

“She had a personal best in the long jump, but another girl had a personal best that was a little bit longer,” Deem said. “It sets her up really nice for the NCAA Championships next weekend.”

Melanie Schultz had a sixth place finish in the one-mile event.

The Lady ‘Canes came in second and third in the 60-meter dash with India Ransom and Chinela Davis finishing within seconds of one another. In the 200-meter event, Greggs managed a second place finish and Dominique Darden trailed closely in third place. Eitenne and Simkins placed second and seventh respectively in the 400-meter. Pavi’Elle James finished eighth in the 60-meter hurdles.

Brenda Faluade finished third in the jump and Amy Seward placed eighth. Throwers Khadjia Talley and Akera Lathan came in third and fifth respectively.

Charles and the relay team automatically qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championship next weekend.

“This senior class has never lost an indoor championship,” Deem said. “There aren’t many kids in the country that can say they’ve never lost a conference championship. I’m very proud of them.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@miami.edu

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...