Hurricanes nab second straight ACC title

The women’s track and field team won its second consecutive ACC Indoor Championship in Blacksburg, Va., last weekend.

“[Winning the championship] was great. I was really proud of the way the girls stepped up,” said Head Coach Amy Deem. “It was probably one of our best team efforts all the way around.”

The Hurricanes finished with an overall score of 117. The University of North Carolina came in second by 20 points. Two first place wins in the 4 x 400-meter relay and triple jump helped the ‘Canes finish the weekend on top.

Ginou Etienne and Charlette Greggs, both juniors, along with freshmen Krista Simkins and Ena Leufroy, clinched first place in the relay with a time of 3:38.40. The mark was an ACC Championship and university record.

“It was nice to see them break their own school record,” Deem said. “That’s an area we can have a lot of success with at the National Championships. We’re one of the top teams and if we run well, we’ll finish a top team.”

The second first place finish for the Hurricanes came from Tabia Charles in the triple jump. Her final jump was recorded at 13.46 meters. Charles also had a personal best in the long jump but ended up in second.

“She had a personal best in the long jump, but another girl had a personal best that was a little bit longer,” Deem said. “It sets her up really nice for the NCAA Championships next weekend.”

Melanie Schultz had a sixth place finish in the one-mile event.

The Lady ‘Canes came in second and third in the 60-meter dash with India Ransom and Chinela Davis finishing within seconds of one another. In the 200-meter event, Greggs managed a second place finish and Dominique Darden trailed closely in third place. Eitenne and Simkins placed second and seventh respectively in the 400-meter. Pavi’Elle James finished eighth in the 60-meter hurdles.

Brenda Faluade finished third in the jump and Amy Seward placed eighth. Throwers Khadjia Talley and Akera Lathan came in third and fifth respectively.

Charles and the relay team automatically qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championship next weekend.

“This senior class has never lost an indoor championship,” Deem said. “There aren’t many kids in the country that can say they’ve never lost a conference championship. I’m very proud of them.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@miami.edu

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...