Hurricanes nab second straight ACC title

The women’s track and field team won its second consecutive ACC Indoor Championship in Blacksburg, Va., last weekend.

“[Winning the championship] was great. I was really proud of the way the girls stepped up,” said Head Coach Amy Deem. “It was probably one of our best team efforts all the way around.”

The Hurricanes finished with an overall score of 117. The University of North Carolina came in second by 20 points. Two first place wins in the 4 x 400-meter relay and triple jump helped the ‘Canes finish the weekend on top.

Ginou Etienne and Charlette Greggs, both juniors, along with freshmen Krista Simkins and Ena Leufroy, clinched first place in the relay with a time of 3:38.40. The mark was an ACC Championship and university record.

“It was nice to see them break their own school record,” Deem said. “That’s an area we can have a lot of success with at the National Championships. We’re one of the top teams and if we run well, we’ll finish a top team.”

The second first place finish for the Hurricanes came from Tabia Charles in the triple jump. Her final jump was recorded at 13.46 meters. Charles also had a personal best in the long jump but ended up in second.

“She had a personal best in the long jump, but another girl had a personal best that was a little bit longer,” Deem said. “It sets her up really nice for the NCAA Championships next weekend.”

Melanie Schultz had a sixth place finish in the one-mile event.

The Lady ‘Canes came in second and third in the 60-meter dash with India Ransom and Chinela Davis finishing within seconds of one another. In the 200-meter event, Greggs managed a second place finish and Dominique Darden trailed closely in third place. Eitenne and Simkins placed second and seventh respectively in the 400-meter. Pavi’Elle James finished eighth in the 60-meter hurdles.

Brenda Faluade finished third in the jump and Amy Seward placed eighth. Throwers Khadjia Talley and Akera Lathan came in third and fifth respectively.

Charles and the relay team automatically qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championship next weekend.

“This senior class has never lost an indoor championship,” Deem said. “There aren’t many kids in the country that can say they’ve never lost a conference championship. I’m very proud of them.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@miami.edu

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...