UMNEWS – Libraries acquire Brazilian alternative press collection

The University of Miami libraries have acquired the “Leila Miccolis Brazilian Alternative Press Collection.” The collection, now housed in the Otto G. Richter Library’s Special Collections Division, is a rare archive of Brazilian underground journals, periodicals and newspapers produced and circulated during the military dictatorship in the last century.

Prior to its acquisition, this collection, which contains thousands of items, attracted Brazilianists from all over the world to visit renowned poet Leila Miccolis in her home in a remote town in the state of Rio de Janeiro. The collection was accumulated over the course of 45 years by Miccolis who decided to place the archive in a North American university so as to assure the preservation of the collection, as well as to prevent its censorship.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...