Keyboard player pays tribute to ’70s AM radio

Roger Joseph Manning Jr. is best known as Beck’s keyboard player, but once upon a time he was one of the founding members of Jellyfish, a short-lived power pop band in the early ’90s that faded with the advent of grunge but heavily influenced bands like the Ben Folds Five.

On his first solo album, Solid State Warrior, Manning pays tribute to ’70s AM radio with intricately arranged pop confections, Queen-esque power ballads, and gorgeous falsetto lullabies. As the gifted multi-instrumentalist rolls out the synth strings, four-part harmonies, and pseudo-jazz chord progressions, you can almost see the fake wood paneling and shag carpeting of a Nixon-era den.

The lyrics, ranging from the acid trip psychedelia of “The Land of Pure Imagination” to the boy-girl heartache of “Wish it Would Rain,” are sometimes unmemorable but the music is so heartfelt and the orchestrations so lush that such shortcomings are easily forgiven.

For years a first-rate studio musician, Manning is a master at layering nuanced keyboard and guitar lines beneath his sunny hooks and multi-tracked vocals, giving his songs a vibrancy lacking from the more minimalist arrangements of ’90s and contemporary rock.

As long as you have an appreciation for uplifting, well-crafted pop music, Solid State Warrior should fit right alongside your Weezer and Matthew Sweet records. And if you like this album, definitely check out Jellyfish’s Spilt Milk, pre-grunge pop’s last hurrah.

Solid State Warrior is available as a Japanese import from Amazon.com and other internet purveyors.

Matt Gajewski can be contacted at m.gajewski@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...