Keyboard player pays tribute to ’70s AM radio

Roger Joseph Manning Jr. is best known as Beck’s keyboard player, but once upon a time he was one of the founding members of Jellyfish, a short-lived power pop band in the early ’90s that faded with the advent of grunge but heavily influenced bands like the Ben Folds Five.

On his first solo album, Solid State Warrior, Manning pays tribute to ’70s AM radio with intricately arranged pop confections, Queen-esque power ballads, and gorgeous falsetto lullabies. As the gifted multi-instrumentalist rolls out the synth strings, four-part harmonies, and pseudo-jazz chord progressions, you can almost see the fake wood paneling and shag carpeting of a Nixon-era den.

The lyrics, ranging from the acid trip psychedelia of “The Land of Pure Imagination” to the boy-girl heartache of “Wish it Would Rain,” are sometimes unmemorable but the music is so heartfelt and the orchestrations so lush that such shortcomings are easily forgiven.

For years a first-rate studio musician, Manning is a master at layering nuanced keyboard and guitar lines beneath his sunny hooks and multi-tracked vocals, giving his songs a vibrancy lacking from the more minimalist arrangements of ’90s and contemporary rock.

As long as you have an appreciation for uplifting, well-crafted pop music, Solid State Warrior should fit right alongside your Weezer and Matthew Sweet records. And if you like this album, definitely check out Jellyfish’s Spilt Milk, pre-grunge pop’s last hurrah.

Solid State Warrior is available as a Japanese import from Amazon.com and other internet purveyors.

Matt Gajewski can be contacted at m.gajewski@umiami.edu.

Good day to everyone. The sun had just risen and those fax machines were already humming. The first ...

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Students in a School of Architecture design studio addressed some of Miami’s most intractable proble ...

Miami Law's Human Rights Clinic is intervening in a case focused on the issue of accountability ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...