Edwards: Fighting poverty should be should be a priority

Fighting poverty should be the most important issue of our generation, former United States Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.) said Thursday at an event held for faculty, students and alumni of the School of Law.

Edwards, who began the Center on Poverty, Work, and Opportunity at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, spoke to a group of around 100 at the School’s Dean’s Circle Luncheon Thursday.

The former vice-presidential candidate said he considered poverty to be “the great moral issue of our time,” adding that the only positive result of the hurricanes last year was that poverty became an important issue in the country again.

“People saw vivid pictures in their living rooms of poverty in America,” he said.

As possible ways to lessen poverty, Edwards suggested setting up accounts for low-income workers to save and for the government to match their savings. He also said he supported the idea of housing vouchers, which would allow lower-income families to migrate to slightly better neighborhoods.

“When are we going to figure out that clustering poor people together is not a good idea?” he said, citing New Orleans’ Ninth Ward as an example.

Although Edwards had criticized free-trade agreements like NAFTA during the 2004 campaign, he also said protectionist policies were not in the country’s best interest.

“We will not compete by erecting barriers,” Edwards said, emphasizing the importance of research and education, especially in math, science and technology.

“We ought to make it easier for students to go to college,” he added, citing a North Carolina county program that pays for a student’s college tuition and books as long as the student commits to working 10 hours a week.

Edwards said the U.S. has an opportunity to be the world’s leader on this issue.

“We have to lead on moral issues because it affects the way people view us,” he said. “And there is a hunger in America [for leadership]. The country wants to be inspired.”

Edwards, who said he had spent the last few weeks helping hotel workers unionize, also said he supported UM UNICCO workers for wanting to vote on unionization.

“They deserve the right to organize if they choose,” he said. “We should support democracy in the workplace.”

Before the speech, Edwards met with UM law professor Michael Fischl, Service Employees International Union representative Eric Brakken and two UNICCO employees.

After hearing from the UNICCO employees on their background and the threats they said they faced in the workplace, Edwards told them that he was proud of their work and would call UM President Donna E. Shalala to help in any way he could.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at pmazzei@miami.edu.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...