UMNEWS – Professor recognized for contributions to biomedical engineering

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) has elected Baruch B. Lieber, Ph.D., professor of Biomedical Engineering and Radiology at the University of Miami, a Fellow. The Fellow Grade is the highest elected grade of membership within ASME, the attainment of which recognizes exceptional engineering achievements and contributions to the engineering profession.

Lieber has been a very active researcher and a leader in the bioengineering field. During Lieber’s 18-year career he has published 45 refereed journal papers, more than 140 conference proceedings and three book chapters. In addition, he is on the editorial board of critical reviews of Biomedical Engineering and a co-editor of a book series on neurovascular disease. Lieber has secured more than $8 million in research funds, holds two patents and has four patent applications in process. He is serving currently or served in the past as consultant to various medical device companies such as Embolic protection Inc, Cordis Neurovascular, Target Boston Scientific and Microvention. Lieber has been an active ASME member since 1987 sitting on the ASME engineering technical committees and has helped organize various technical sessions.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...