UMNEWS – Professor recognized for contributions to biomedical engineering

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) has elected Baruch B. Lieber, Ph.D., professor of Biomedical Engineering and Radiology at the University of Miami, a Fellow. The Fellow Grade is the highest elected grade of membership within ASME, the attainment of which recognizes exceptional engineering achievements and contributions to the engineering profession.

Lieber has been a very active researcher and a leader in the bioengineering field. During Lieber’s 18-year career he has published 45 refereed journal papers, more than 140 conference proceedings and three book chapters. In addition, he is on the editorial board of critical reviews of Biomedical Engineering and a co-editor of a book series on neurovascular disease. Lieber has secured more than $8 million in research funds, holds two patents and has four patent applications in process. He is serving currently or served in the past as consultant to various medical device companies such as Embolic protection Inc, Cordis Neurovascular, Target Boston Scientific and Microvention. Lieber has been an active ASME member since 1987 sitting on the ASME engineering technical committees and has helped organize various technical sessions.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...