Roll out the red carpet, Sir Majesty has arrived

The next big thing in indie-rock music is about to take the home of the Hurricanes by storm. You might have to look twice at the unsuspecting rockers, but you will be swept away.

Sir Majesty frontman Noah Nite sits on the UC Patio with bassist Jon Estes and debates the edibility of the questionable honeybuns placed on the table before them. Conversation turns to the whereabouts of drummer Brian Fitch and the fact that he and Nite have recently had an awkward spell of matching clothes on unplanned occasions (“The other day, it was blue plaid and blue plaid. A couple days later, it was red polos or something. It’s ridiculous”). This day, Nite’s shirt is a bright yellow plastered with a map of the Caribbean islands, and everyone seems confident the matching streak won’t be apparent to the interviewer. That is, of course, until Fitch strolls smirking onto the patio wearing a mustard gold top shouting, “Go Jamaica!” Let’s just say this band shares more than a love of Wilco and an ice-cold Yeungling.

Sir Majesty began its musical journey this past fall as a trio from the University of Miami playing self-written rock ‘n’ roll. The band says they get their inspiration from groups like Wilco, Pedro the Lion, The Love-cars, and Pavement. However, the style they possess is something all their own. “It’s melodic indie-rock music minus the sissy elements,” Estes says.

Nite, the principal songwriter, says he likes to experiment with narrative songwriting. “It’s kind of like telling stories through your songs to evoke some sort of an emotional response,” Nite says. His lyrics touch on matters of love and death, weddings to car crashes. Estes’s mellow stance on stage translates to his bass playing. He eases effortlessly between subdued long-tones and driving beats. The rhythmic energy behind each tune showcases Fitch’s outstanding ability to transform the drums into an instrument of creative elasticity. From the heartwrenching to the foot-thumping, Sir Majesty’s unique versatility just might give them the edge they need to go all the way. But let the music speak for itself.

The band has been aggressively pursuing gigs in the Miami area and abroad, and their fan base continues to grow. While they have recorded a demo that can be heard on the Sir Majesty myspace homepage, the guys say they hope to have an LP out by the end of the spring semester.

The three cannot deny the enjoyment they get from hearing people sing their songs, yet the band remains grounded in the true motivation for their music. “The main reason we’re playing isn’t for the people. It’s the excitement about creating something,” says Nite. “I think the music we make is good, and I’m really proud to be a part of it.”

Sir Majesty’s next gig is scheduled for today, Feb. 24, at Churchill’s Pub in Miami. To check out the band and their music, visit their site at www.myspace.com/sirmajesty.

Stefanie Smith can be contacted at s.smith@umiami.edu.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...