Roll out the red carpet, Sir Majesty has arrived

The next big thing in indie-rock music is about to take the home of the Hurricanes by storm. You might have to look twice at the unsuspecting rockers, but you will be swept away.

Sir Majesty frontman Noah Nite sits on the UC Patio with bassist Jon Estes and debates the edibility of the questionable honeybuns placed on the table before them. Conversation turns to the whereabouts of drummer Brian Fitch and the fact that he and Nite have recently had an awkward spell of matching clothes on unplanned occasions (“The other day, it was blue plaid and blue plaid. A couple days later, it was red polos or something. It’s ridiculous”). This day, Nite’s shirt is a bright yellow plastered with a map of the Caribbean islands, and everyone seems confident the matching streak won’t be apparent to the interviewer. That is, of course, until Fitch strolls smirking onto the patio wearing a mustard gold top shouting, “Go Jamaica!” Let’s just say this band shares more than a love of Wilco and an ice-cold Yeungling.

Sir Majesty began its musical journey this past fall as a trio from the University of Miami playing self-written rock ‘n’ roll. The band says they get their inspiration from groups like Wilco, Pedro the Lion, The Love-cars, and Pavement. However, the style they possess is something all their own. “It’s melodic indie-rock music minus the sissy elements,” Estes says.

Nite, the principal songwriter, says he likes to experiment with narrative songwriting. “It’s kind of like telling stories through your songs to evoke some sort of an emotional response,” Nite says. His lyrics touch on matters of love and death, weddings to car crashes. Estes’s mellow stance on stage translates to his bass playing. He eases effortlessly between subdued long-tones and driving beats. The rhythmic energy behind each tune showcases Fitch’s outstanding ability to transform the drums into an instrument of creative elasticity. From the heartwrenching to the foot-thumping, Sir Majesty’s unique versatility just might give them the edge they need to go all the way. But let the music speak for itself.

The band has been aggressively pursuing gigs in the Miami area and abroad, and their fan base continues to grow. While they have recorded a demo that can be heard on the Sir Majesty myspace homepage, the guys say they hope to have an LP out by the end of the spring semester.

The three cannot deny the enjoyment they get from hearing people sing their songs, yet the band remains grounded in the true motivation for their music. “The main reason we’re playing isn’t for the people. It’s the excitement about creating something,” says Nite. “I think the music we make is good, and I’m really proud to be a part of it.”

Sir Majesty’s next gig is scheduled for today, Feb. 24, at Churchill’s Pub in Miami. To check out the band and their music, visit their site at www.myspace.com/sirmajesty.

Stefanie Smith can be contacted at s.smith@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...