Roll out the red carpet, Sir Majesty has arrived

The next big thing in indie-rock music is about to take the home of the Hurricanes by storm. You might have to look twice at the unsuspecting rockers, but you will be swept away.

Sir Majesty frontman Noah Nite sits on the UC Patio with bassist Jon Estes and debates the edibility of the questionable honeybuns placed on the table before them. Conversation turns to the whereabouts of drummer Brian Fitch and the fact that he and Nite have recently had an awkward spell of matching clothes on unplanned occasions (“The other day, it was blue plaid and blue plaid. A couple days later, it was red polos or something. It’s ridiculous”). This day, Nite’s shirt is a bright yellow plastered with a map of the Caribbean islands, and everyone seems confident the matching streak won’t be apparent to the interviewer. That is, of course, until Fitch strolls smirking onto the patio wearing a mustard gold top shouting, “Go Jamaica!” Let’s just say this band shares more than a love of Wilco and an ice-cold Yeungling.

Sir Majesty began its musical journey this past fall as a trio from the University of Miami playing self-written rock ‘n’ roll. The band says they get their inspiration from groups like Wilco, Pedro the Lion, The Love-cars, and Pavement. However, the style they possess is something all their own. “It’s melodic indie-rock music minus the sissy elements,” Estes says.

Nite, the principal songwriter, says he likes to experiment with narrative songwriting. “It’s kind of like telling stories through your songs to evoke some sort of an emotional response,” Nite says. His lyrics touch on matters of love and death, weddings to car crashes. Estes’s mellow stance on stage translates to his bass playing. He eases effortlessly between subdued long-tones and driving beats. The rhythmic energy behind each tune showcases Fitch’s outstanding ability to transform the drums into an instrument of creative elasticity. From the heartwrenching to the foot-thumping, Sir Majesty’s unique versatility just might give them the edge they need to go all the way. But let the music speak for itself.

The band has been aggressively pursuing gigs in the Miami area and abroad, and their fan base continues to grow. While they have recorded a demo that can be heard on the Sir Majesty myspace homepage, the guys say they hope to have an LP out by the end of the spring semester.

The three cannot deny the enjoyment they get from hearing people sing their songs, yet the band remains grounded in the true motivation for their music. “The main reason we’re playing isn’t for the people. It’s the excitement about creating something,” says Nite. “I think the music we make is good, and I’m really proud to be a part of it.”

Sir Majesty’s next gig is scheduled for today, Feb. 24, at Churchill’s Pub in Miami. To check out the band and their music, visit their site at www.myspace.com/sirmajesty.

Stefanie Smith can be contacted at s.smith@umiami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...