Rested and Ready

The men’s and women’s track and field teams will head to Blacksburg, Va., this weekend for the ACC Indoor Championships.

Both squads have been off for two weeks, when the men competed in the St. Valentine’s Invite in Boston, and the women went to the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark.

The men’s team is led by sophomore Tim Harris, who is top-ranked in the 800-meter race. Harris broke the school record two weeks ago in the event by finishing with a time of 1:47:99. The mark broke an 11-year school record.

Harris has provisionally qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships, after turning in the seventh-fastest indoor time of the season in the country.

Miami football wide receiver Lance Leggett is top-ranked in the 55-meter hurdles race as well. Leggett had the fastest time in the ACC (7.48) during week five

The 16th-ranked women’s track and field team is the defending ACC indoor champions. Three individual champions return as well. One team that may give the Hurricanes some trouble is North Carolina, who is the only ACC team ranked higher than Miami, sitting at seventh.

Miami is led by Tabia Charles in the triple jump, who automatically qualified to the NCAA Indoor Championships by recording a jump of 44-03.25.

The other automatic bid so far for the Hurricanes has been the 4 x 400 meter relay team, which ran a 3:33:47 to make it. Both are also at the top of the ACC in each event as well.

The NCAA Indoor Championships will be held in two weeks at the University of Arkansas.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...