Labs should be worth more credits

My Spanish, organic chemistry and biology classes meet a couple times a week for approximately three hours, and I receive three credits for each. So I figure that the amount of credits I receive equals the time spent in class. So why is it that I spend three hours per week in my biology and chemistry lab classes, yet only receive one credit?

I could rationalize allocating credits if I didn’t have a lot of work for labs, but my lab classes actually require more time than most of my regular three-credit classes. For both biology and organic lab I have a quiz every class, a pre-lab write up, and a lab report due every time we meet. Writing the lab reports and preparing for class takes at least an extra three to four hours as well.

In contrast, my Spanish 211 class, which I receive three credits for, required an hour of homework this week. I have a quiz at the end of the week, which will cover material from class. My quizzes in organic lab ask my knowledge of information not yet discussed in class, but instead about information that will be used later that day in lab. I usually understand how to answer the questions after I conduct the lab, but not before beginning it. Thus, studying for lab quizzes entails more time because the knowledge is being learned for the first time.

I propose that administrators increase the amount of credits received for lab classes. Students will experience greater satisfaction for the time they put into class, and also feel their time is worthwhile. Not only does an increase in credit allotment make logical sense when looking at the hours spent in lab per week, but I feel that the increase would also cause a change in student morale.

Karyn Meshbane is a sophomore majoring in neuroscience. She can be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...