Elsewhere – Language study crucial for nation

(U-WIRE) PHILADELPHIA-Struggling through “Intermediate Arabic” may do much more than fulfill graduation requirements. The Committee for Economic Development, an independent reorganization that studies ways of promoting economic development in America, released a report Feb. 9 with recommendations on how to enhance diplomacy, national security and economic growth.

The report calls for increased foreign-language and culture study at all levels of education and for more study-abroad opportunities at colleges and universities.

“Among the reasons that the U.S. has gotten into so much trouble in our activities abroad is lack of knowledge-our ignorance of the cultures, the histories, the languages,” said Committee Trustee John Brademas, president emeritus of New York University and a former Indiana congressman, who co-chaired the effort.

Finance professor Jamshed Ghandhi said that while foreign-language and culture education do not directly affect the economy, Americans must understand the thoughts and behaviors of others to succeed in global relations.

Ghandhi added that studying abroad, which the report encouraged, is central to this.

“You cannot hope to understand a culture . effectively unless you have lived in it on a day-to-day basis, not as a tourist who wanders in and out of international hotels,” he said.

Eastern Languages and Civilizations professor Joseph Lowry said that foreign language proficiency is not necessary for the U.S. economy because English is so widely studied in other nations. However, he noted its importance for those involved in international business dealings.

Good day to everyone. The sun had just risen and those fax machines were already humming. The first ...

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Students in a School of Architecture design studio addressed some of Miami’s most intractable proble ...

Miami Law's Human Rights Clinic is intervening in a case focused on the issue of accountability ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...