Dear V – On the stressful third-date dealmaker, girls walk a fine line

I’ve been seeing this guy that I know really likes me. We’ve only known one another for a week, and he’s taken me out on dates and calls me at least once a day. I have gone back to his place too. However, I’m kind of confused about one thing: How soon is too soon to sleep with somebody new? I think I like him a lot, I just don’t want to destroy whatever potential we have.

The Third Date

Dear Reader,

I gather from your letter that you might be approaching the infamous third date, otherwise known as the dealmaker. I don’t think that there is a person who hasn’t been exposed to the old mantra that if you have any intentions of pursuing something a little more serious than a hookup then you should not seal the deal before the third date, and if it’s all smooth sailing on dates one and two, then date number three is “the night.” Likewise, if all that you’re after is an occasional booty call, then feel free to do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it. Yeah, those old stand-by rules are great and everything, but I’m not quite convinced that they are more rule and less exception; I know of many serious couples who broke and bended these rules and couldn’t be happier.

In my opinion, girls walk a seriously fine line between being a prude and being a slutty slut slut. If you’re seeing someone who is looking for nothing more than pure sex (and there are so many!) he will go to almost any level to get it, including wining and dining you and the whole bit. I have witnessed some seriously unfortunate cases where the guy went so far as to continue on a long distance “friendship” complete with the requisite nightly phone calls only to leave her high and dry after their one night together. He never called her again. Ouch. In this case, both the playa and the game lacked heart and soul.

I don’t think you can ever know if he is in it solely for the sex until you do the deed with him, and even then, who knows. Once you do the dirty, you relinquish your control, and if he doesn’t want you, the game is over and you’ve lost. However, a lot of girls for lack of other options don’t have a problem playing along. Of course, if you play the virginal card for too long, you run the risk of him losing interest in you and getting it somewhere else. I think that it’s such a sham when these celebrity couples announce that they’re saving themselves for marriage because you know that either they’re totally lying to the world or he’s getting it from someone else on the sly.

Anyways, I digress. In your particular situation it seems on the surface that he is actually interested in you. It seems really unlikely that he would call you on a daily basis, and not just on the weekend, or at some ungodly late hour, if he were only after sex and not you. Furthermore, a date? My God, I think that you may have hit the jackpot on this one!

Best of luck!

V.

Fact o’ the Day.Only three percent of animal species are monogamous, humans not included.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

V. is a senior majoring in psychology and creative writing.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...