Convocation speaker announced

Humorist Ben Stein will be the 2006 Senior Convocation speaker, Richard Walker, assistant vice president for student affairs, told The Hurricane Monday. He will speak on April 19 at 6:30 p.m. in the BankUnited Center, and the event will be open to students, faculty, staff and invited guests.

Stein, an award-winning actor as well as economist, lawyer and journalist, is perhaps best known for his portrayal of the economics teacher in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and for his Comedy Central quiz show, Win Ben Stein’s Money, for which he won six Emmy awards. Stein also writes columns for a variety of print media, including a regular one for the conservative magazine, The American Spectator.

Before acting, Stein worked a speechwriter for Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford. He was a columnist and editorial writer for The Wall Street Journal and later a TV sitcom writer and movie scriptwriter. He has published 17 books, the latest being Can America Survive?: The Rage of the Left, the Truth, and What to Do About It, with Phil DeMuth.

Stein, who spoke at Ithaca College’s commencement last year, taught politics of film and TV at American University in Washington, D.C., and later at the University of California-Santa Cruz. He has also taught at Pepperdine University Law School.

Stein attended Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring, Md., with Sylvester Stallone, Carl Bernstein, Goldie Hawn and Connie Chung. He earned a B.A. in economics with honors from Columbia University, and he was valedictorian of the Yale Law School class of 1970. Stein was active in the civil rights movement, and he later worked as a poverty lawyer.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...