UMNEWS – University of Miami student awarded 2006 Gates Cambridge Scholarship

In October 2006 the sixth annual contingent of new Gates Scholars, selected from countries around the world, will begin graduate studies at the University of Cambridge, England. This week, 40 successful candidates from the U.S. have been offered the opportunity to be among them, as recipients of Gates Cambridge Scholarships. They include Miami’s Arjun Parasher, from Tampa, who plans to pursue a master’s degree in international relations at Cambridge. Arjun is the first University of Miami student to be named a Gates Cambridge Scholar since the program began in 2001.

At Cambridge, Arjun will join fellow Gates Scholars-highly talented young men and women from all over the world-studying a wide range of subjects: arts, science, humanities, social science, technology, and medicine. Their multi-cultural, multi-national presence at Cambridge enlivens and enriches life there in laboratories and libraries, in classroom discussions, at dining-table debates, and on playing fields.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...