UMNEWS – University of Miami student awarded 2006 Gates Cambridge Scholarship

In October 2006 the sixth annual contingent of new Gates Scholars, selected from countries around the world, will begin graduate studies at the University of Cambridge, England. This week, 40 successful candidates from the U.S. have been offered the opportunity to be among them, as recipients of Gates Cambridge Scholarships. They include Miami’s Arjun Parasher, from Tampa, who plans to pursue a master’s degree in international relations at Cambridge. Arjun is the first University of Miami student to be named a Gates Cambridge Scholar since the program began in 2001.

At Cambridge, Arjun will join fellow Gates Scholars-highly talented young men and women from all over the world-studying a wide range of subjects: arts, science, humanities, social science, technology, and medicine. Their multi-cultural, multi-national presence at Cambridge enlivens and enriches life there in laboratories and libraries, in classroom discussions, at dining-table debates, and on playing fields.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...