LETTER TO THE EDITOR

I would like to make a statement about Cecille Lucero’s article regarding the military and how they recruit on college campuses. First I must state that I am speaking for myself, and not the United States Marine Corps or any other branch of the military. I will be commissioned as a lieutenant in the Marines in May. I am also pictured in the paper.

Lucero’s tone in the article is very negative towards the military, and her discussion of the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy makes it sound like all members of the services discriminate against gays. People can easily draw a line between her article and my picture [which appeared with the article]and assume that because I wish to serve my country I must be against gays serving in the military.

I do not appreciate this line being drawn. It could also [be taken to suggest]that Captain Fernandez, whom I know very well, also discriminates against gays. It needs to be understood that the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy is just that. It does not mean that everyone who is in the military agrees or disagrees with that policy.

Furthermore, [Lucero] does not look into why the military instituted this policy. Before “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” military recruiters could sit down with any recruit and ask “Are you homosexual?” If the recruit answered yes, they were automatically disqualified from service. This policy gives them the option to serve their country without creating an environment that could be dangerous to that person.

The simple fact of the matter is, military life is very different from civlian life, and different measures need to be taken to ensure a fluid operating environment. I am glad to hear that members of OUTspoken have decided not to protest our recruiting. In fact, I welcome anyone to come by and request information about serving. What bothers me, though, is when people decide to make an issue and protest when they themselves have never thought of joining. If military recruiters are no longer allowed on campus, the federal government will cut funding to the university, forcing university officials to raise tuition to cover the lost funds.

If the Solomon Amendment is overturned in the Supreme Court, what will happen to all the ROTC programs across the country when they are kicked off campuses because they “discriminate?” To become an officer in any branch of the military one must possess a college degree. If all the ROTC programs and other military recruiting were banned from campuses, our military leadership structure would fall apart and the defense of our nation would be left in ruins.

Brad Tatum

Senior

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...