Elsewhere-Bush proposes elimination of Perkins Loans

UWM Post (U. Wisconsin-Milwaukee)

(U-WIRE) MILWAUKEE-For the fourth year in a row, President George W. Bush has proposed cuts to education funding that will affect college access and affordability for students nationwide unless students speak out.

“For those students who still have unmet needs and families who can’t afford to contribute, the Perkins Loans fill in the gap,” said Bruce Caplin, national co-chair of the Coalition of Higher Education Assistance Organizations Grassroots Action Network.

A lobbying firm for schools and other organizations who work to promote access to higher education, COHEAO focuses on legislative and regulatory advocacy for federal Perkins and other campus-based student loan programs.

The Perkins Loan is awarded to students with exceptional financial need. The school acts as the lender using a limited pool of funds provided by the federal government.

“The Perkins Loan is the best student loan available,” Caplin said. It is a subsidized loan, with the interest paid by the federal government during the time a student is in school and the nine-month grace period that follows. There are no fees and the interest rate is five percent over the 10-year repayment period.

Bush’s budget completely eliminates the Perkins Loan program, a program that offers benefits other loans do not. If enacted, more than 670,000 student borrowers would lose out on partial or total loan forgiveness if they became teachers, law enforcement officers or if they serve in the military.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...