Elsewhere-Bush proposes elimination of Perkins Loans

UWM Post (U. Wisconsin-Milwaukee)

(U-WIRE) MILWAUKEE-For the fourth year in a row, President George W. Bush has proposed cuts to education funding that will affect college access and affordability for students nationwide unless students speak out.

“For those students who still have unmet needs and families who can’t afford to contribute, the Perkins Loans fill in the gap,” said Bruce Caplin, national co-chair of the Coalition of Higher Education Assistance Organizations Grassroots Action Network.

A lobbying firm for schools and other organizations who work to promote access to higher education, COHEAO focuses on legislative and regulatory advocacy for federal Perkins and other campus-based student loan programs.

The Perkins Loan is awarded to students with exceptional financial need. The school acts as the lender using a limited pool of funds provided by the federal government.

“The Perkins Loan is the best student loan available,” Caplin said. It is a subsidized loan, with the interest paid by the federal government during the time a student is in school and the nine-month grace period that follows. There are no fees and the interest rate is five percent over the 10-year repayment period.

Bush’s budget completely eliminates the Perkins Loan program, a program that offers benefits other loans do not. If enacted, more than 670,000 student borrowers would lose out on partial or total loan forgiveness if they became teachers, law enforcement officers or if they serve in the military.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...