UMNEWS National Geographic honors Rosenstiel School researcher as ‘inspiring adventurer’

Environmental anthropologist Kenny Broad has been selected for the National Geographic 2006 Emerging Explorer Award. This title is bestowed annually to eight rising talents who push the boundaries of discovery, adventure and global problem-solving, and awards each up-and-comer with $10,000. National Geographic selected this Rosenstiel School professor for its 2006 group because of his unique perspectives on the relationship between climate, society and natural resource management, and for his work exploring challenging underwater environments.

Broad received his Ph.D. from Columbia University in 1999 and is an assistant professor at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science in the Division of Marine Affairs and Policy, and the Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy.

He holds a joint appointment at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory. Working in the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean, Broad studies climate impacts and human perception, the use and misuse of scientific information, decision making under uncertainty, marine protected areas and issues of societal equity.