THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

You’re at a club, you’re looking around and suddenly something catches your eye: two girls on the dance floor making out and grinding on each other. Right behind them are several guys gawking at the spectacle. Look at them.they’re all posers.

The last few years have seen a rise in the acceptance of homosexuality, but that is not what I am here to talk about. I am here to speak of the large part of the population that is using this rise in acceptance to perpetuate their hollow personalities and seem interesting and appealing. You know who I am talking about: the girls at the clubs who are making out to tease the guys, the same ones who gasp in amazement if they hear one of their friends has never kissed another girl. I am even pointing-or giving-the finger to the guys who pretend to be gay only to be able to hang out with the girls.

You all have heard of such things, or even seen them firsthand. For the girls, I partly blame the male populace because 98.2385 percent of men find girl-on-girl action to be “hot,” and fantasize about it. The girls know this and, wanting the male attention, turn to the only thing they can do besides carry their dogs in their purses and wear shirts like “If you’re rich I’m single” to seem interesting and appealing. Then you have the guys who pretend to be gay so the girls won’t feel “threatened.” But, hey, it’s OK, right?

People like this do such things because they’re too hollow inside and so dull without personalities that they have to resort to acting homosexual to get attention. Don’t get me wrong, I am not going against those who are genuinely homosexual. What I am concerned about is the motives behind such actions. If you’re doing it because you sincerely are attracted to the same sex, then go for it; I am not one to tell you otherwise. But if your motive is to call attention to yourself, you’re nothing but attention-starved. Stop it, you’re embarrassing yourself.

I find it disgusting because it is a slap in the face to those who tirelessly fight for equal rights, and to those who have suffered emotionally and physically because of their orientation. You’re only jumping on the bandwagon and reaping the benefits of their blood, sweat and tears.

Think for yourselves, people, and find something inside you that’s worth showing to the world, other than your pseudo-sexual orientation.

Jovanni Bello is a senior majoring in computer information systems and creative writing. He can be contacted at j.bello2@umiami.edu.