Showdown at ‘the Light’

The Miami Hurricanes will face their first major test of the year as the No. 1 Florida Gators travel to Coral Gables for a three-game weekend series at Mark Light Field.

Although Miami leads the all-time series between the two clubs 117-87-1, UF took last year’s meeting in Gainesville, winning the series finale 14-11. The Gators are off to a tremendous start this season, outscoring their opponents 40-8 in their first three games.

The Hurricanes will have to be ready for the bat of infielder Adams Davis, who is hitting .538 with seven runs batted in and one homerun. Outfielder Garvin Dickey is no easy out either, batting .400 with two homeruns and a perfect slugging percentage in 10 at-bats. Florida’s pitching staff is paced by 6’5″ sophomore Bryan Augenstein (1-0), an imposing presence on the mound. In his first outing, Augenstein struck nine batters. The staff ace is Bryan Ball, who also won his first start.

“I know they’re 3-0 and they beat Cincinnati pretty bad,” said UM Head Coach Jim Morris. “They’ve got a lot of guys back so they are very solid.”

With Miami’s youthful starting lineup, it is hard to predict at times how the Hurricanes will respond in different situations. Some skeptics might have thought that the long flight to California last weekend to face UCLA would leave the ‘Canes lifeless once they took the field against the Bruins. However, UM responded to a home series loss to feisty Winthrop by winning the UCLA series 2 games to 1.

Second baseman Jemile Weeks (.379), first baseman Yonder Alonso (.367) and leftfielder Blake Tekotte (.357) are three freshmen filling huge holes in the Hurricanes offense and lefty middle reliever Andrew Lane is bouncing back from a shaky few weeks in the set-up spot. Lane threw 1 2/3 innings of scoreless relief in Sunday’s 5-2 win over the Bruins.

“We got a lot of young guys in the lineup,” Morris said. “I think we are playing well right now.”

Morris said the team will have to put forth their best effort of the year to beat the top squad in the nation.

“I think we played well at UCLA but we are going to have to play at another level against the Gators,” Morris said. “They have good pitching and good players and we have to respond to that; it is going to be interesting to see how we do.”

The ‘Canes and Gators face off at 2 p.m. today, 1 p.m. on Saturday and noon on Sunday at Mark Light Field. All three games will be aired on WVUM 90.5 FM.

Richard Lavi

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...