Is the Muslim world ready for democracy?

If we are to believe, as our cowboy-in-chief has repeatedly stated, that all people have a desire to be free, then the most recent Muslim tantrums surely must be a random occurrence. Recently, the Muslim community exploded in anger after learning a Danish newspaper had published caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed back in September.

The caricatures depict, among other things, Mohammed wearing a turban and a bomb, the clear implication being that many Muslims use Islam as a means to promote and commit acts of violence against others. A people who are ready for democracy surely wouldn’t overreact to something like that, would they?

“‘We will not accept less than severing the heads of those responsible,” one Muslim cleric said in a Feb. 3 New York Times piece titled “Tens of Thousands Protest Cartoon in Gaza.” “The solution is the slaughter of those who harmed Islam and the Prophet,” said a spokesman for a militant Lebanese group.

Sounds like just the kind of clear-thinking mindsets that would flourish in a democracy. Armed mobs rioted, stormed embassies, and are now organizing a boycott of Danish goods.

This is not the first incident of lunacy in the Muslim world, as there have been many. In 1989, a fatwa was issued ordering Muslims to kill Salman Rushdie for blasphemy in his book, The Satanic Verses. In 2004, a Dutch filmmaker was publicly killed for making a film detailing the violence perpetrated against Muslim women by Muslim men; his body was left with a note of warning stabbed deep in his chest with a knife. Last year, a London museum refused to allow the exhibition of a sculpture for fear it would offend Muslims after the bombings in July. And here in the United States, as a result of similar political cowardice, it’s almost illegal to even suggest that Middle Easterners be scrutinized more closely in airports simply because they tend to fly planes into buildings more frequently than non-Middle Easterners.

You know, for all the beheading, stoning and flag-burning they do, Muslims are an awfully sensitive people.

I’m not denying that individuals do have a desire to be free; it is human nature to want to live without constraints. But freedom means different things to different people. And when we say “freedom,” what we really mean is “power.” For many of these Muslims, freedom means the power to keep women covered from head to toe in burqas. Or it could mean the effort to spread Islam across the globe by any means necessary. Regardless, if a political caricature elicits this type of insanity amongst people in the region, they are certainly not ready for anything resembling a democracy, which begs the question of why we’re trying to impose it in the first place. No constitution the United States backs will ever be more important to them than the Koran.

Unfortunately, until clear-thinking Muslims outnumber the radicals within, true democracy in the Middle East will just have to wait. I’m not holding my breath.

Information obtained from BBC News and Reuters was used in this piece.

Moises Jacobs III is a senior majoring in print journalism and English. He can be contacted at m.jacobs3@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...