Elsewhere – Prepaid tuition plans no longer decrease aid

The Stanford Daily (Stanford)

(U-WIRE) STANFORD, Calif.-Until recently, students with prepaid tuition plans have had their eligibility for need-based aid reduced dollar by dollar. Both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives have recently approved a measure, to take effect on July 1, that eliminates this penalty. A prepaid tuition plan allows families to prepay all or part of a student’s tuition today for future use at a specific college or group of member colleges. When the student enrolls at that college or one of the member colleges, the prepaid tuition is redeemed with the percent of tuition previously purchased despite any price increases.

Stanford has been a participant in the Independent 529 Plan, named after the Internal Revenue Code section that authorizes such programs, since 2003. According to the Office of Financial Aid, the number of families taking advantage of this Independent 529 Plan at Stanford is small because the program has been in existence for a relatively short time.

The new regulations concerning prepaid tuition plans are designed to better allow families that use them to obtain need-based financial aid.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...