Elsewhere – Prepaid tuition plans no longer decrease aid

The Stanford Daily (Stanford)

(U-WIRE) STANFORD, Calif.-Until recently, students with prepaid tuition plans have had their eligibility for need-based aid reduced dollar by dollar. Both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives have recently approved a measure, to take effect on July 1, that eliminates this penalty. A prepaid tuition plan allows families to prepay all or part of a student’s tuition today for future use at a specific college or group of member colleges. When the student enrolls at that college or one of the member colleges, the prepaid tuition is redeemed with the percent of tuition previously purchased despite any price increases.

Stanford has been a participant in the Independent 529 Plan, named after the Internal Revenue Code section that authorizes such programs, since 2003. According to the Office of Financial Aid, the number of families taking advantage of this Independent 529 Plan at Stanford is small because the program has been in existence for a relatively short time.

The new regulations concerning prepaid tuition plans are designed to better allow families that use them to obtain need-based financial aid.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...