MORE THAN A HALLMARK HOLIDAY

It started with the Romans around the year 270 A.D. St. Valentine was a priest who lived around the city of Rome during the time of Emperor Claudius II. While Rome was under threat by the Huns, Turks and Slavs, Claudius II banned marriage in order to ensure quality soliders who were not emotionally attached.

A bishop, St. Valentine helped young lovers by joining them in the sacrament of matrimony. When Claudius II discovered St. Valentine’s disobedience he arrested him and in an attempt to save him from execution he tried to convert Valentine to recognize the Roman gods.

While Valentine was in prison he healed the blind daughter of his jailer. Before his execution on Feb. 24, 270 A.D. he wrote a note to the jailer and signed it “From your Valentine” thus giving birth to the popular holiday phrase.

When St. Valentine was later made a patron saint his day was assigned to Feb. 14. In celebration, young Romans who were courting would offer each other cards with St. Valentine’s name on them.

Spread by Christianity and picked up by greeting card companies everywhere, Feb. 14 has become the official holiday of love. So pick up a card and tell those important to you how much you love them.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...