MORE THAN A HALLMARK HOLIDAY

It started with the Romans around the year 270 A.D. St. Valentine was a priest who lived around the city of Rome during the time of Emperor Claudius II. While Rome was under threat by the Huns, Turks and Slavs, Claudius II banned marriage in order to ensure quality soliders who were not emotionally attached.

A bishop, St. Valentine helped young lovers by joining them in the sacrament of matrimony. When Claudius II discovered St. Valentine’s disobedience he arrested him and in an attempt to save him from execution he tried to convert Valentine to recognize the Roman gods.

While Valentine was in prison he healed the blind daughter of his jailer. Before his execution on Feb. 24, 270 A.D. he wrote a note to the jailer and signed it “From your Valentine” thus giving birth to the popular holiday phrase.

When St. Valentine was later made a patron saint his day was assigned to Feb. 14. In celebration, young Romans who were courting would offer each other cards with St. Valentine’s name on them.

Spread by Christianity and picked up by greeting card companies everywhere, Feb. 14 has become the official holiday of love. So pick up a card and tell those important to you how much you love them.

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...