MORE THAN A HALLMARK HOLIDAY

It started with the Romans around the year 270 A.D. St. Valentine was a priest who lived around the city of Rome during the time of Emperor Claudius II. While Rome was under threat by the Huns, Turks and Slavs, Claudius II banned marriage in order to ensure quality soliders who were not emotionally attached.

A bishop, St. Valentine helped young lovers by joining them in the sacrament of matrimony. When Claudius II discovered St. Valentine’s disobedience he arrested him and in an attempt to save him from execution he tried to convert Valentine to recognize the Roman gods.

While Valentine was in prison he healed the blind daughter of his jailer. Before his execution on Feb. 24, 270 A.D. he wrote a note to the jailer and signed it “From your Valentine” thus giving birth to the popular holiday phrase.

When St. Valentine was later made a patron saint his day was assigned to Feb. 14. In celebration, young Romans who were courting would offer each other cards with St. Valentine’s name on them.

Spread by Christianity and picked up by greeting card companies everywhere, Feb. 14 has become the official holiday of love. So pick up a card and tell those important to you how much you love them.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...