It’s not too late: Valentine ideas, even on Valentine’s Day

It’s Valentine’s Day and you need a gift for a loved one, a spot for dinner with someone special or a group of friends. Check out these last-minute ideas if you decide that you still want to celebrate this day of love. Be a cop-out and stock up on candy hearts at CVS, sign your name on the back and give them out as gifts. Anything is better than nothing.

Go with the stereotype and get a teddy bear, chocolates and flowers. Red roses for loved ones, yellow roses for friendship, and coral-colored roses for desire. A yellow Acacia means a secret love.

Some florists around Coral Gables (please don’t resort to Publix or CVS!):

Coral Gables Florist

1825 Ponce De Leon Blvd.

Coral Gables 305-443-3211

Miriam’s Flowers and Baskets

305 Alcazar Ave.

Coral Gables 305- 461-5556

A Blooming Miracle

2520 Ponce De Leon Blvd.

Coral Gables 305-448-3385

If flowers won’t do, try getting a book related to an incident or an inside joke. Barnes and Noble is the obvious choice but Books and Books on Alhambra in the heart of the Gables is great for some different choices.

For gifts that go beyond the usual try boutiques such as LX Studio (men’s and women’s) on Sunset Drive or Base on Lincoln Road in South Beach. Really want to show your love? Get a T-shirt from Target and scribble a message in your best hand to say whatever you want about love. Even if the only word that comes to mind is “sucks.”

For restaurants try Anacapri on Miracle Mile, Cacao on Giralda Avenue or Bites on Sunset Drive. Small restaurants that are sometimes overlooked, spots like these are the best chance for same-day reservations.

If going out just isn’t working, eat in. Plenty of restaurants will order out. If all else fails, stop by Gardner’s Market and pick up some of the pre-made foods available. Try the Asian chicken salad or the pre-made Italian blend pasta. Ask one of the people who work there about the wine, as they have plenty of options.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...