Hurricanes out muscled by feisty Tar Heels

Tyler Hansbrough scored 25 points on 11 of 17 shooting and grabbed seven rebounds as No. 23 North Carolina beat Miami 80-70 on Sunday night at the Bank United Center.

Junior forward Reyshawn Terry torched the Hurricanes defense for 18 points and eight boards, hitting six of nine field goals. Freshman point guard Bobby Frasor added 13 points, including three clutch baskets in the closing minutes, for the Tar Heels (15-6, 6-4).

Four Hurricanes (14-10, 6-5) reached double figures in the loss, led by Guillermo Diaz with 21 points. Robert Hite finished with 15.

UNC out rebounded Miami 33-22, dominating the offensive glass by a 17-10 margin.

“I thought North Carolina played very well,” said UM Head Coach Frank Haith. “They made all of the tough plays and took balls right out of our hands. I thought that was the difference in the game.”

Terry and Wes Miller scored the first eight points of the game for the Tar Heels. UNC opened up a 22-13 lead, shooting nine-for-nine in the first five minutes, with its first miss coming at the 14:36 mark.

A 6-0 Miami run brought the Hurricanes within four points at 33-29. Hansbrough, who picked up a technical foul for hanging on the rim, hit a lay-up and two free throws to silence the UM faithful. The ‘Canes cut their deficit to a point (39-38) with a Diaz lay-up before halftime.

Hansbrough and Terry combined for 26 points on a blistering 11 of 15 shooting in the first half.

“Tyler Hansbrough is a great player,” Haith said. “We had no answer for him. I thought Terry was outstanding too.”

Anthony King hit a pair of free throws to give UM its first lead of the night 38 seconds into the second half. Both teams got hot on the offensive end during the next eight minutes. Diaz and Hite connected on an alley-oop play to put the Hurricanes back on top 56-55 with 12:25 left.

UNC answered with a 13-2 run highlighted by Frasor, Miller and David Noel three-pointers.

“This was a big-time game for us,” said UNC Head Coach Roy Williams. “I was more impressed by how we played in the second half than at any point this year. It’s amazing how much better the game looks when you make shots.”

Trailing 69-58, the Hurricanes scored six straight points but could not get within seven points the rest of the way. Frasor hit back-to-back jumpers with less than two minutes remaining, sending the large contingency of North Carolina fans that made the trip to Coral Gables into a frenzy.

“Miami is a really good basketball team,” Williams said. “We are as happy as can be to get a win.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...