Forget about Valentine’s-celebrate Quirkyalone Day

With Valentine’s season in our midst, there is no doubt that all are concerned with the ultimate question: Valentine or no Valentine?

It is true that we all need love and attention. Relationships are a necessary aspect of life. We all want to feel wanted and warm with the feeling that someone cares about us and wants to be with us, cuddling and spending time with us. We like to have someone to be our one thought throughout our idle and not-so-idle days. It seems we are constantly on the lookout to find someone to fill that spot of our undying attention and love.

But maybe it would be good to consider the idea that being without a “someone” is not so bad and could be a personal choice. Some of the negative ideas or myths about singledom should be reconsidered and reevaluated.

Sasha Cagen wrote Quirkyalone: A manifesto for the undying romantic, in which she discusses the phenomenon of women and men who are still single and can’t seem to find their way into relationships. She emphasizes that there isn’t something wrong with not being with someone. In essence, it is possible that quirkyalones don’t want to settle for a silly “just for kicks” relationship or for the sake of not being alone. They are “looking for a miracle,” she says. “Out of millions, we have to find the one who will understand.”

It doesn’t seem so far-fetched, this idea of quirkyalones. Many of us out there aren’t in a relationship, but not because we can’t manage to have them. It isn’t that quirkyalones are incapable of relationships or that there is something wrong with them. As the definition itself states, the quirkyalone is “a person who enjoys being single (but is not opposed to being in a relationship) and generally prefers to be alone rather than date for the sake of being in a couple.”

So, in the spirit of love and celebration, don’t put yourself down or be frustrated at your lack of a Valentine, but instead, as Cagen says, “have significant others” and enjoy your friends and the ability to be open to all the possibilities.

Pamper yourself today, buy yourself some chocolate, and give yourself a Valentine’s Day card. It’s not a day to feel bad about your single self, but to reaffirm your choice to be that way. You are worth waiting ’til something “right” comes along. Today, enjoy your multiple Valentine friends.

Happy Valentine’s Day! Happy Quirkyalone Day!

Bernardita Yunis is a sophomore majoring in communication studies and international studies. She can be contacted at b.yunis@umiami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...