Forget about Valentine’s-celebrate Quirkyalone Day

With Valentine’s season in our midst, there is no doubt that all are concerned with the ultimate question: Valentine or no Valentine?

It is true that we all need love and attention. Relationships are a necessary aspect of life. We all want to feel wanted and warm with the feeling that someone cares about us and wants to be with us, cuddling and spending time with us. We like to have someone to be our one thought throughout our idle and not-so-idle days. It seems we are constantly on the lookout to find someone to fill that spot of our undying attention and love.

But maybe it would be good to consider the idea that being without a “someone” is not so bad and could be a personal choice. Some of the negative ideas or myths about singledom should be reconsidered and reevaluated.

Sasha Cagen wrote Quirkyalone: A manifesto for the undying romantic, in which she discusses the phenomenon of women and men who are still single and can’t seem to find their way into relationships. She emphasizes that there isn’t something wrong with not being with someone. In essence, it is possible that quirkyalones don’t want to settle for a silly “just for kicks” relationship or for the sake of not being alone. They are “looking for a miracle,” she says. “Out of millions, we have to find the one who will understand.”

It doesn’t seem so far-fetched, this idea of quirkyalones. Many of us out there aren’t in a relationship, but not because we can’t manage to have them. It isn’t that quirkyalones are incapable of relationships or that there is something wrong with them. As the definition itself states, the quirkyalone is “a person who enjoys being single (but is not opposed to being in a relationship) and generally prefers to be alone rather than date for the sake of being in a couple.”

So, in the spirit of love and celebration, don’t put yourself down or be frustrated at your lack of a Valentine, but instead, as Cagen says, “have significant others” and enjoy your friends and the ability to be open to all the possibilities.

Pamper yourself today, buy yourself some chocolate, and give yourself a Valentine’s Day card. It’s not a day to feel bad about your single self, but to reaffirm your choice to be that way. You are worth waiting ’til something “right” comes along. Today, enjoy your multiple Valentine friends.

Happy Valentine’s Day! Happy Quirkyalone Day!

Bernardita Yunis is a sophomore majoring in communication studies and international studies. She can be contacted at b.yunis@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...