Elsewhere – Research shows excessive drinking may lead to cancer

(U-WIRE) RALEIGH, N.C.-Last week, the results of research done by the International Agency for Research on Cancer were released to the public, stating that too much drinking raises the risk of certain types of cancer, including mouth, larynx, esophagus, liver, colon and breast. This is just another example of how things done in excess can lead to harmful side effects.

The study done by the IARC showed that while many believe total abstinence from drinking would solve this problem, that is not the case. Other research done over the years has proven that when done in moderation, drinking can help combat and even prevent cardiovascular diseases.

According to the World Health Organization, in 2000, alcohol was the cause of death of 185,000 men and 142,000 women in developed countries. Yet in the same year, alcohol prevented the deaths of 71,000 men and 277,000 women.

“Everything causes cancer in excess,” Matthew Veety, a senior in electrical and computer engineering, said. “People just need to learn to drink responsibly. Moderation is the important key.”

Even the American Heart Association does not have a concrete answer other than that drinking excessively will cause negative health effects. Yet at the same time they admit drinking does have some positive side effects.

Both the AHA and the IARC recommend watching how much you drink. While the substances in alcohol may have scientific benefits, the same benefits can be obtained through regular exercise, according to the AHA.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...