Spots to munch, lunch, wine and dine around MIA

After a few weeks of eating the usual dining hall food, frozen dinners or take-out, it’s time to take a look at some of the new dining spots around Miami. From ethnic to classic, cheap to just a bit pricey, restaurants all around Miami are grabbing some well-deserved attention as a result of delectable food or an inviting atmosphere.

ETHNIC FOODS

ANOKHA 3195 Commodore Plaza, Coconut Grove

This “fine dining” Indian restaurant has an extensive menu that features numerous Tandoori recipes, a variety of vegetarian dishes and some very spicy sauces. Although a bit pricey, the food is well worth it. Meals come in sparkling silver bowls and serve up a healthy portion that is worth the extra dollars. Salt and pepper is left off the table, but it isn’t needed. As an added bonus, dine inside or out, and for those feeling a bit cultural, there’s even a spot on the floor.

AKASHI 5820 S. Dixie Highway, South Miami

Driving south on U.S. 1, Akashi looks like a hole in the wall that would probably violate more than just one health code. However, it serves up the best sushi in the area. A small dining space, the restaurant has 10 tables on a good day and a few seats at the bar, where diners can watch an assortment of tropical fish glide through the wall-to-wall saltwater tank. For sushi, try the Alex Roll or its sister, the Alex 2 Roll; or try any of the teriyaki dishes.

BREAKFAST AND LUNCH

CAFE PASTIS 7310 SW 57th Avenue, South Miami

For someplace new that can satisfy an appetite for breakfast, lunch or even dessert, check out Cafe Pastis on Red Road. This often overlooked caf

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...