Spots to munch, lunch, wine and dine around MIA

After a few weeks of eating the usual dining hall food, frozen dinners or take-out, it’s time to take a look at some of the new dining spots around Miami. From ethnic to classic, cheap to just a bit pricey, restaurants all around Miami are grabbing some well-deserved attention as a result of delectable food or an inviting atmosphere.

ETHNIC FOODS

ANOKHA 3195 Commodore Plaza, Coconut Grove

This “fine dining” Indian restaurant has an extensive menu that features numerous Tandoori recipes, a variety of vegetarian dishes and some very spicy sauces. Although a bit pricey, the food is well worth it. Meals come in sparkling silver bowls and serve up a healthy portion that is worth the extra dollars. Salt and pepper is left off the table, but it isn’t needed. As an added bonus, dine inside or out, and for those feeling a bit cultural, there’s even a spot on the floor.

AKASHI 5820 S. Dixie Highway, South Miami

Driving south on U.S. 1, Akashi looks like a hole in the wall that would probably violate more than just one health code. However, it serves up the best sushi in the area. A small dining space, the restaurant has 10 tables on a good day and a few seats at the bar, where diners can watch an assortment of tropical fish glide through the wall-to-wall saltwater tank. For sushi, try the Alex Roll or its sister, the Alex 2 Roll; or try any of the teriyaki dishes.

BREAKFAST AND LUNCH

CAFE PASTIS 7310 SW 57th Avenue, South Miami

For someplace new that can satisfy an appetite for breakfast, lunch or even dessert, check out Cafe Pastis on Red Road. This often overlooked caf

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...