Spots to munch, lunch, wine and dine around MIA

After a few weeks of eating the usual dining hall food, frozen dinners or take-out, it’s time to take a look at some of the new dining spots around Miami. From ethnic to classic, cheap to just a bit pricey, restaurants all around Miami are grabbing some well-deserved attention as a result of delectable food or an inviting atmosphere.

ETHNIC FOODS

ANOKHA 3195 Commodore Plaza, Coconut Grove

This “fine dining” Indian restaurant has an extensive menu that features numerous Tandoori recipes, a variety of vegetarian dishes and some very spicy sauces. Although a bit pricey, the food is well worth it. Meals come in sparkling silver bowls and serve up a healthy portion that is worth the extra dollars. Salt and pepper is left off the table, but it isn’t needed. As an added bonus, dine inside or out, and for those feeling a bit cultural, there’s even a spot on the floor.

AKASHI 5820 S. Dixie Highway, South Miami

Driving south on U.S. 1, Akashi looks like a hole in the wall that would probably violate more than just one health code. However, it serves up the best sushi in the area. A small dining space, the restaurant has 10 tables on a good day and a few seats at the bar, where diners can watch an assortment of tropical fish glide through the wall-to-wall saltwater tank. For sushi, try the Alex Roll or its sister, the Alex 2 Roll; or try any of the teriyaki dishes.

BREAKFAST AND LUNCH

CAFE PASTIS 7310 SW 57th Avenue, South Miami

For someplace new that can satisfy an appetite for breakfast, lunch or even dessert, check out Cafe Pastis on Red Road. This often overlooked caf

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...