Richter Library floods

The Otto G. Richter Library closed early Sunday evening as a result of a flood on the second floor.

The flood was caused by a broken pipe on the flush-o-meter, a standard part on a toilet built for commercial use, in the men’s restroom on the second floor of the library

“We believe that someone may have kicked it,” Bill Walker, university librarian, said.

According to Walker, who was doing some work in the library at the time, the flooding began just before 5 p.m.

“The water gushed and filled the bathroom almost instantly,” Walker said. “It quickly flooded the second floor from wall to wall.”

The library staff responded to the emergency by calling the facilities department. A team from facilities stopped the influx by turning off the water.

The water then began to seep into the seams of the ceiling of the first floor, causing the tiles to become wet and fall.

Students were asked to leave the library for safety reasons. The library remained closed until Monday morning when portions of the building were open for student use.

A team contracted for emergencies, Belfor, responded to the situation.

“Even on Super Bowl Sunday, they were here by 10:00 with 70 fans to help dry the carpets,” Walker said.

Other damages included damp insulation, which is being replaced to prevent mildew, and some computers on the first floor.

“We moved as many computers as possible,” Walker said. “About 20 of them were filled with water.”

Currently, the library only has 25 working computers for students to use. Replacement computers were immediately ordered.

“We asked students not to come in and use the computers for Facebook, but to use them for work,” Walker said. “Everyone was really great.”

Some students were upset by the lack of computers and many were perplexed.

“It sucks right now because there is such a shortage of computers,” sophomore Pamela Jackson said. “I tried to use one, but it isn’t going to happen.”

None of the collections held in the library were damaged during the flood.

Walker estimates damages at $100,000, but this amount could not be confirmed with facilities.

According to Walker, the library should be back to its original state by Monday.

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...