Richter Library floods

The Otto G. Richter Library closed early Sunday evening as a result of a flood on the second floor.

The flood was caused by a broken pipe on the flush-o-meter, a standard part on a toilet built for commercial use, in the men’s restroom on the second floor of the library

“We believe that someone may have kicked it,” Bill Walker, university librarian, said.

According to Walker, who was doing some work in the library at the time, the flooding began just before 5 p.m.

“The water gushed and filled the bathroom almost instantly,” Walker said. “It quickly flooded the second floor from wall to wall.”

The library staff responded to the emergency by calling the facilities department. A team from facilities stopped the influx by turning off the water.

The water then began to seep into the seams of the ceiling of the first floor, causing the tiles to become wet and fall.

Students were asked to leave the library for safety reasons. The library remained closed until Monday morning when portions of the building were open for student use.

A team contracted for emergencies, Belfor, responded to the situation.

“Even on Super Bowl Sunday, they were here by 10:00 with 70 fans to help dry the carpets,” Walker said.

Other damages included damp insulation, which is being replaced to prevent mildew, and some computers on the first floor.

“We moved as many computers as possible,” Walker said. “About 20 of them were filled with water.”

Currently, the library only has 25 working computers for students to use. Replacement computers were immediately ordered.

“We asked students not to come in and use the computers for Facebook, but to use them for work,” Walker said. “Everyone was really great.”

Some students were upset by the lack of computers and many were perplexed.

“It sucks right now because there is such a shortage of computers,” sophomore Pamela Jackson said. “I tried to use one, but it isn’t going to happen.”

None of the collections held in the library were damaged during the flood.

Walker estimates damages at $100,000, but this amount could not be confirmed with facilities.

According to Walker, the library should be back to its original state by Monday.

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...