Editorial – Don’t like SG? Make a difference

With precious weeks remaining before this year’s Student Government elections, it appears student apathy is prepared to step in once again. For the second year in a row, elections are shaping up into a two-horse race, this time between SG veterans, one from the legislative branch and one from the judicial. While both candidates are entirely qualified for the position, one must wonder: With thousands of undergraduate students concerned with the current state of the U, why do so few decide to vote?

Which immediately raises another question: Why do so few decide to run? There are those who point to the difficulty of overcoming Greek-dominated politics, but this excuse is as legitimate as an Ashlee Simpson performance. Great ideas win, period. Many fail to acknowledge that we no longer walk the halls of Popularity High School, where ideas are secondary to who’s dating Johnny Football Hero. Platforms should be of substance, even if they include ideas that don’t come to fruition, such as free towels and wireless color printing.

Is this to say that false promises should be commended? Not at all. In fact, the aforementioned promises were hardly false; someone with convictions, such as Pete Maki, wins by coming up with great ideas, and promising to do his best to get them to pass. The sad truth is that doing your best sometimes doesn’t get things done.

And that is why students are afraid to run-because they are afraid that their great ideas will be squelched. In truth, they should be motivated to run, knowing that their great ideas can be remembered.

Students, the new deadline for applying for candidacy for SG elections is Friday, Feb. 17, at 5 p.m. Consider the difference you could make for others.

And consider the difference you could make for yourself.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...