AS I SEE IT

In the aftermath of a worldwide Muslim campaign to collectively go berserk over unflattering caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad recently reprinted in several European newspapers, the Europeans seem to have discovered that there are indeed things to stand your ground on besides opposing the United States.

The caricatures, originally printed in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten in September, were intended to lampoon “intolerance among Muslims and links to terrorism,” according to a recent edition of The New York Times. The refusal to pull the caricatures by the various European newspapers that reprinted them in late January has sparked massive protests across the Muslim world.

In Islam, it is one of the highest forms of blasphemy to depict the Prophet Muhammad in any but the most general manner. The reason for this was to prevent Muhammad from being depicted as divine. To Muslims, Muhammad was many things, but he was not divine, a sentiment underscored by the reported statement of Muhammad’s successor and first Caliph Abu Bakr, “If you worship Muhammad know that he is dead. If you worship God know that he is alive.” Thus it has become blasphemy to depict the Prophet in any manner other than the most basic. In any image where the Prophet is present he will always be clad in white with no facial features present.

I think it could have been possible to point out the areas where some believe Muslims can be hypocritical-and they are legion-without ridiculing the Prophet. I’m not personally offended by it since I’m not a Muslim, but I still think it was in very poor taste. Having said that, I think the refusal of the European newspapers to pull the caricatures was absolutely the right decision. Free speech and a free press -something the overwhelming majority of the Muslim world has yet to embrace-are essential to free societies. It’s one thing if I think what they did was in poor taste; it’s another to say that either they don’t have the right to print them or that they should remove the images under pressure from legions of self-righteous hypocrites.

Terrorists explode bombs in the name of Islam and there are just words. Americans and other westerners are beheaded in the name of Islam and there are just words. But print an insulting cartoon and look out-riots, burning embassies, kidnappings and demands that some of those involved in the printing of the cartoons be executed.

It’s not the mark of a reasonable people to absolutely lose their minds just because someone insulted them.

It’s the mark of the pathologically insecure.

Scott Wacholtz is a graduate student in Middle Eastern studies. He can be contacted at s.wacholtz@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...