UMNEWS News media ownership discussed at forum

In light of recent news on possible sale of Knight Ridder Newspapers across the country, the University of Miami and the Society of Professional Journalists will co-sponsor a forum to discuss News Media Ownership on Feb. 10 at 11:15 a.m. at the School of Communication courtyard.

The forum will include discussions on whether a new model of ownership could protect newsrooms from the investor imperatives that are forcing this sale. Participants for the forum include Douglas Arthur, newspaper analyst at the Wall Street firm MorganStanley; Bob Ingle, former head of Knight Ridder new media and former executive editor of the company’s San Jose Mercury News, and Robert G. Picard, founder of the journal Media Economics and professor of media management at the Jonkoping International Business School in Sweden.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...