UMNEWS News media ownership discussed at forum

In light of recent news on possible sale of Knight Ridder Newspapers across the country, the University of Miami and the Society of Professional Journalists will co-sponsor a forum to discuss News Media Ownership on Feb. 10 at 11:15 a.m. at the School of Communication courtyard.

The forum will include discussions on whether a new model of ownership could protect newsrooms from the investor imperatives that are forcing this sale. Participants for the forum include Douglas Arthur, newspaper analyst at the Wall Street firm MorganStanley; Bob Ingle, former head of Knight Ridder new media and former executive editor of the company’s San Jose Mercury News, and Robert G. Picard, founder of the journal Media Economics and professor of media management at the Jonkoping International Business School in Sweden.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...