UMNEWS Chernobyl group visits medical campus

The University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine hosted a delegation of physicians and administrators from Ukraine, along with Congressmen Lincoln and Mario Diaz-Balart, as part of a growing collaboration between American healthcare professionals and Ukrainians who are struggling to care for victims of the Chernobyl nuclear accident 20 years after the tragedy.

Children born in the region still suffer from unusually high rates of thyroid cancer, lymphoma, leukemia, cardiac ailments and other illnesses.

The UM visit and Wednesday news conference grew out of a trip to Ukraine late last year that included Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, Dr. Steven E. Lipshultz, professor and chairman of the department of pediatrics at the Miller School, and others.

The two-fold purpose of this visit was to allow the Ukrainians to participate in the annual Masters of Pediatrics conference, which began the day of the visit and to foster medical collaboration between American physicians and their colleagues in Ukraine.

Two of the Ukrainian physicians spoke about their experiences and thanked their hosts. Dr. Igor Mokryk, a congenital heart disease specialist, talked about the urgent need for more resources.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...