UMNEWS Chernobyl group visits medical campus

The University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine hosted a delegation of physicians and administrators from Ukraine, along with Congressmen Lincoln and Mario Diaz-Balart, as part of a growing collaboration between American healthcare professionals and Ukrainians who are struggling to care for victims of the Chernobyl nuclear accident 20 years after the tragedy.

Children born in the region still suffer from unusually high rates of thyroid cancer, lymphoma, leukemia, cardiac ailments and other illnesses.

The UM visit and Wednesday news conference grew out of a trip to Ukraine late last year that included Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart, Dr. Steven E. Lipshultz, professor and chairman of the department of pediatrics at the Miller School, and others.

The two-fold purpose of this visit was to allow the Ukrainians to participate in the annual Masters of Pediatrics conference, which began the day of the visit and to foster medical collaboration between American physicians and their colleagues in Ukraine.

Two of the Ukrainian physicians spoke about their experiences and thanked their hosts. Dr. Igor Mokryk, a congenital heart disease specialist, talked about the urgent need for more resources.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...