UC patio tables vandalized

On the morning of Friday, Jan. 27, public safety officers found that cushions and an umbrella in the UC Patio had been vandalized, according to a department police report.

The officers, who were on a regular foot patrol, found that five of the seat backs on the glider tables had been carved into with a sharp bladed object.

According to the report, the words “fuck,” “cock,” “cunt” and “slut” were carved into four of the smaller cushion seats, and “nigger” was carved out on one of the large seat cushions.

Other damaged property in the area included an umbrella and three vinyl banners and a cardboard sign that advertised campus events.

The estimated damage, according to the report, totals around $1,100. This amount includes $600 for the four small cushions, $200 for the large cushion, and $300 for the umbrella.

No suspects have been identified in the crime, but the investigation is still open.

Police think that the vandalism occurred around 11 p.m. on Thursday night.

United Black Students (UBS) had held an event on the Patio earlier that evening. Because one of the vandalized words was derogatory towards African Amiercans, the incident is being treated as a potential hate crime.

“We are neither shocked nor outraged, but rather bewildered by the ignorance of the coward culprit or culprits,” said Terri-Ann Bennett, president of UBS. “UBS plays an enormous role in the diversity of this campus. We urge everyone to attend Black Awareness Month programs this February and unlearn stereotypes and prejudices.”

According to the report, no witnesses have come forth and there were no surveillance recordings that captured the crime.

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...