UC patio tables vandalized

On the morning of Friday, Jan. 27, public safety officers found that cushions and an umbrella in the UC Patio had been vandalized, according to a department police report.

The officers, who were on a regular foot patrol, found that five of the seat backs on the glider tables had been carved into with a sharp bladed object.

According to the report, the words “fuck,” “cock,” “cunt” and “slut” were carved into four of the smaller cushion seats, and “nigger” was carved out on one of the large seat cushions.

Other damaged property in the area included an umbrella and three vinyl banners and a cardboard sign that advertised campus events.

The estimated damage, according to the report, totals around $1,100. This amount includes $600 for the four small cushions, $200 for the large cushion, and $300 for the umbrella.

No suspects have been identified in the crime, but the investigation is still open.

Police think that the vandalism occurred around 11 p.m. on Thursday night.

United Black Students (UBS) had held an event on the Patio earlier that evening. Because one of the vandalized words was derogatory towards African Amiercans, the incident is being treated as a potential hate crime.

“We are neither shocked nor outraged, but rather bewildered by the ignorance of the coward culprit or culprits,” said Terri-Ann Bennett, president of UBS. “UBS plays an enormous role in the diversity of this campus. We urge everyone to attend Black Awareness Month programs this February and unlearn stereotypes and prejudices.”

According to the report, no witnesses have come forth and there were no surveillance recordings that captured the crime.

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.