UC patio tables vandalized

On the morning of Friday, Jan. 27, public safety officers found that cushions and an umbrella in the UC Patio had been vandalized, according to a department police report.

The officers, who were on a regular foot patrol, found that five of the seat backs on the glider tables had been carved into with a sharp bladed object.

According to the report, the words “fuck,” “cock,” “cunt” and “slut” were carved into four of the smaller cushion seats, and “nigger” was carved out on one of the large seat cushions.

Other damaged property in the area included an umbrella and three vinyl banners and a cardboard sign that advertised campus events.

The estimated damage, according to the report, totals around $1,100. This amount includes $600 for the four small cushions, $200 for the large cushion, and $300 for the umbrella.

No suspects have been identified in the crime, but the investigation is still open.

Police think that the vandalism occurred around 11 p.m. on Thursday night.

United Black Students (UBS) had held an event on the Patio earlier that evening. Because one of the vandalized words was derogatory towards African Amiercans, the incident is being treated as a potential hate crime.

“We are neither shocked nor outraged, but rather bewildered by the ignorance of the coward culprit or culprits,” said Terri-Ann Bennett, president of UBS. “UBS plays an enormous role in the diversity of this campus. We urge everyone to attend Black Awareness Month programs this February and unlearn stereotypes and prejudices.”

According to the report, no witnesses have come forth and there were no surveillance recordings that captured the crime.

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...