Hite brings Hurricanes back from second-half deficit

Senior Robert Hite valiantly answered the call with his team trailing, hitting five of seven three-pointers on his way to scoring 17 second-half points in the Hurricanes’ 78-69 win against Wake Forest.

“This has to be one of the top shooting nights I’ve had since I’ve been at Miami,” Hite said. “I was feeling tonight. I felt like everything I was putting up was going in.”

Hite tied a career high with seven three-pointers, a feat he accomplished last year against FIU. His 25 points gave him more than 1,500 for his career and moved him into eighth place on Miami’s all-time scoring list.

In the first half, Wake Forest looked determined to improve its 1-6 record in the ACC, shooting 6-for-7 from three-point range. Justin Gray looked crisp, shooting 5-for-6 from beyond the arc while scoring 17 first-half points.

In the second half, Miami stepped up its defense, holding Gray to just three points. Then, with the Hurricanes desperately needing a run, Robert Hite stepped up with clutch outside shots.

“He’s playing at an unbelievable level right now,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “I’m really proud of him because he’s… stepping up in big games. He has been our most consistent player all year.”

Michael Holt can be contacted at: m.holt1@umiami.edu.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...