Gutierrez emerges from bench to become ace of staff

Note to Miami Hurricanes baseball fans: Remember the name Carlos Gutierrez now.

Gutierrez is already the ace of the staff in his sophomore year, and he only started pitching in his junior year of high school, totaling only two innings.

“It was a great feeling to be out there opening day,” Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez said he is living his dream by playing for Miami.

“I always wanted to come to UM,” Gutierrez said. “I would always come down to this park as a kid and cheer the team on.”

Gutierrez played baseball throughout his life, but it was not until his junior year at Christopher Columbus High School, the same school that has produced standout outfielder Jon Jay and pitcher Danny Gil, when he made the switch to pitcher. That was the same year his team won the state championship while he sat on the bench.

Gutierrez is not alone; his little brother, David, is a freshman pitcher on the team.

“It’s a bigger deal at home. My parents are ecstatic that both of us got into Miami,” Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez continues to try to improve. He works hard with pitching coach J.D. Arteaga and takes advice anywhere he can find. One source of wisdom came last season from Cesar Carrillo, the San Diego Padres’ first round pick.

“Cesar made me want to work hard over the summer,” Gutierrez said. “I had a couple conversations with him about keeping my composure and being myself.”

Gutierrez already won his first start, not allowing a run in five innings of work against Florida International University. Head Coach Jim Morris understands the long process of bringing a pitcher along. He spoke about Gutierrez and Manny Miguelez’s first starts last weekend.

“They passed the test but not the exam,” Morris said.

Gutierrez did not get a chance to show his stuff last year in limited action, but all eyes are on him this year.

“Basically, I wanted to come out and show people I could be a help to his team,” Gutierrez said.

Being the ace of the staff at Miami in your sophomore year is a great honor, but Morris said he understands that Gutierrez is still growing as a pitcher.

“I don’t expect any one to do what Cesar did,” Morris said. “I couldn’t put that on anyone. I just hope he is consistent and gives us a chance to win.”

Gutierrez said he has not lost the innocence of the game.

“I am just trying to have fun.”

Denis Brown can be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...