City littering adds up to disaster

Welcome back to the city of Miami, home to palm trees, sunshine and.garbage? As we return home to Coral Gables, one can’t help but notice a sharp contrast to its utopist reputation; litter is in abundance and impossible to escape. Cutting across the intramural field this morning on my way back from class, I spotted an empty pack of cigarettes smack in the middle of the freshly trimmed grass. Never mind the obvious health risks associated with cigarettes (those tiny murderous cancer sticks). Litter like this poses an even greater threat-one that effects more than just one person, but future generations as well.

Litter isn’t just a problem on campus. Having lived in Miami my whole life, I have watched South Beach transform from tropical paradise to corporate garbage dump. The morning sunshine greets a fresh layer of beer cans and plastic cups, wrist bands and cigarette butts, hastily discarded the day before by tipsy clubbers and toasted sunbathers.

The realization of the deterioration of purity in my home city first hit me when I was 8 and returned home from an afternoon on the beach with a tar spot on the bottom of my foot. I know you can all comprehend the horror of realizing that the showers in the dorms on campus might be cleaner than the sands of South Beach. I haven’t been in its surf or on its sands since.

Maybe this is a reputation we want for Miami: a kind of “peaceful, easy feeling” where our only concern is whether to follow our last pi

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...