City littering adds up to disaster

Welcome back to the city of Miami, home to palm trees, sunshine and.garbage? As we return home to Coral Gables, one can’t help but notice a sharp contrast to its utopist reputation; litter is in abundance and impossible to escape. Cutting across the intramural field this morning on my way back from class, I spotted an empty pack of cigarettes smack in the middle of the freshly trimmed grass. Never mind the obvious health risks associated with cigarettes (those tiny murderous cancer sticks). Litter like this poses an even greater threat-one that effects more than just one person, but future generations as well.

Litter isn’t just a problem on campus. Having lived in Miami my whole life, I have watched South Beach transform from tropical paradise to corporate garbage dump. The morning sunshine greets a fresh layer of beer cans and plastic cups, wrist bands and cigarette butts, hastily discarded the day before by tipsy clubbers and toasted sunbathers.

The realization of the deterioration of purity in my home city first hit me when I was 8 and returned home from an afternoon on the beach with a tar spot on the bottom of my foot. I know you can all comprehend the horror of realizing that the showers in the dorms on campus might be cleaner than the sands of South Beach. I haven’t been in its surf or on its sands since.

Maybe this is a reputation we want for Miami: a kind of “peaceful, easy feeling” where our only concern is whether to follow our last pi

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...