Citizen Cope’s music like therapy

Citizen Cope is what happens when blues, reggae, rock, moving lyrics and catchy beats are all mixed together. Similar to college favorites such as Sublime, Jack Johnson and Bob Marley, the erythematic sounds of Citizen Cope keeps listeners singing the lyrics long after the CD has played through.

Whether you first heard him on The O.C. or during a car commercial, Cope is something people will hear, recognize and remember. The beat is something to be listened to while getting ready with your friends for a night out, or as background music during a drive to South Beach.

The inspirational 11 tracks will have anyone keeping the album on repeat. Track four, titled “Son’s Gonna Rise,” features Carlos Santana and a bob-your-head kind of rhythm. Noteworthy track five titled, “Sideways,” features away message-worthy lyrics, such as “You know it ain’t easy, for these thoughts here to leave me. There’s no words to describe it, in French or in English. ‘Cause diamonds they fade and flowers they bloom and I’m telling you, these feelings won’t go away.” Lyrics such as these are not only powerful but they are all throughout the songs, making the album as a whole very memorable.

So whether you want to listen to highly expressive music written about real life situations or just something to make the day a little bit brighter, Citizen Cope’s bluesy yet determined album will help anyone cope with this crazy world that is life.

Jessica Marquez can be contacted at j.marquez@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...