Can University Village save the day?

Want to spend the whole year in Miami? Care to live within the boundaries of campus without technically living in the residential colleges? Are you at least junior standing?

If your answers to all of these questions are yes, you could well be one of the first University of Miami students to bask in the glory of University Village, UM’s latest gem, overlooking the peaceful shores of.er.um.Red Road.

What could spell disaster for the school’s newest housing project is the fact that its greatest strength could also be its greatest weakness: location. So, students must be cautiously optimistic when hearing that a representative for JPI (the company operating University Village’s progress), says housing will be competitively priced for the area.

What “area”? University Village sits awkwardly in a proverbial no-man’s land, by what will eventually be the “old” School of Nursing. On the one hand, its within earshot of beautiful, quaint, decades-old Coral Gable houses. On the other, it’s just a stone’s throw from a much less “ritzy” area.

There is no doubt the University will point to its superb security to justify any pricing concerns, but other issues remain. Will the “community assistants” be rule-enforcing chaperones, as is the typical role of a resident assistant? Will the walk across San Amaro be safe at all hours? Will the parking situation become more complicated, with other students being angered by University Village residents taking “their” parking spaces?

UM can’t answer these concerns for now. But if these, or any other problems arise once the village is built, we’ll find the idiot.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...